Model 92 question?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Hawkeye

Model 92 question?

Post by Hawkeye »

Should the firing pin float like on a winny 94 if I deleted the top safety with a plug? Figured y'all would be the ones to ask...thanks in advance.(new in box. Did this modification as soon as I got it.)
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Model 92 question?

Post by Archer »

There's nothing to keep it from floating.

The safety just prevents it from extending toward the primer when it is ON. When it is OFF the system IS a free floating firing pin.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Yes, the firing pin on a 92 is free-floating (without a return spring), with or without the bolt-mounted safety that Rossi added.

Interestingly, Ian at Forgotten Weapons mentioned that the reason John Browning put such a strong ejector spring in his design was that the ejector would function as a rudimentary safety, keeping the cartridges away from the bolt face until the bolt was fully closed.

If the firing pin were to get stuck while protruding from the bolt face, and a fresh round were to get jammed in the action while closing the bolt, you could have an out-of-battery detonation.

With modern day reproductions, there's an argument to be made that the heavy ejector spring causes more harm than good, but that's another discussion.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Thank you! I appreciate y'all both getting back to me.I am very familiar with winny 94 and marlin 336 but kinda new at this rossi 92. Again many thanks! Tons of good info on here!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Watch the video to the bitter end. Gun Jesus gives another rundown with better views on the takedown model.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Thank you, Sir!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Good video,
He didn't mention the shotgun buttstock on that Deluxe model. I think that was a special order option back then.