Can't insert last round. File down Loading gate?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Fran49829

Can't insert last round. File down Loading gate?

Post by Fran49829 »

Hello,
I just bought a new 92 357 stainless and am hoping for a fix for my problem. Let's say I am going to put 2 to 5 357's into the magazine tube. The last round hangs up on the receiver and no amount of my finger pressure will get it all the way in. If I push down on the loading gate with a small screwdriver I can get the round in. It seems like the loading gate spring is to stiff. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Fran49829 on 21 Mar 2020 09:58, edited 3 times in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: can't insert last round

Post by Ranch Dog »

Try releasing the lever from the locked position. Not opened, just released.
Michael
Fran49829

Post by Fran49829 »

Thanks but it did not help.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fran49829 wrote:Thanks but it did not help.
What is the nose profile of the bullet look like? How many are in the tube before the last one?
Michael
Fran49829

Post by Fran49829 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Fran49829 wrote:Thanks but it did not help.
What is the nose profile of the bullet look like? How many are in the tube before the last one?
They are 158 gr jacketed soft flat point. 1 to 5 in tube.
stevep1954

Re: Can't insert last round. File down Loading gate?

Post by stevep1954 »

did you clean the grease out of the mag tube? that should be done just to keep the spring moving freely.
Fran49829

Post by Fran49829 »

This happens even if I am only loading 1 catridge.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

stevep1954 wrote:did you clean the grease out of the mag tube? that should be done just to keep the spring moving freely.
This would be a good start. Remove the mag tube a clean it out. It looks pretty dirty to me.

When the round gets stuck and you can't go forward, are you able to go in reverse and remove the round back out?

Best way to relieve the spring tension is to take the gun apart and put a notch in the loading gate spring.
Fran49829

Post by Fran49829 »

golfish wrote:
stevep1954 wrote:did you clean the grease out of the mag tube? that should be done just to keep the spring moving freely.
This would be a good start. Remove the mag tube a clean it out. It looks pretty dirty to me.

When the round gets stuck and you can't go forward, are you able to go in reverse and remove the round back out?

Best way to relieve the spring tension is to take the gun apart and put a notch in the loading gate spring.
Only if I relieve the upwards pressure from the loading gate by depressing the gate with a small screwdriver
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think you need to go to the basics with an initial cleaning. If you don't want to take it all apart, pull the magazine end cap and spring, plus the buttstock and flush the rifle with dechlorinated brake cleaner in a spray can. If you leave the forearm in place, don't get the cleaner on it. Flush the receiver out well. I flush it all out with the straw, trying to get it everywhere, and then use compressed air to blow it out. Then I coat everything with good gun oil and cycle the action 100 times. Flush it out until the cleaner runs clean, blow it out, and reoil it. I do this through 500 cycles. Typically, I would use three cans of cleaner.
Fran49829 wrote:This happens even if I am only loading 1 catridge.
With your last comment, I feel that the packing grease (alox) is packed into the bottom of the receiver at the magazine port to where the carrier cannot lay at rest (flat). What cycling has been done with the action probably has packed it further.

The Spring Cover cannot open because the carrier is in the way. I sure would not pry on it with a screwdriver.
Michael