Broken rear band screw and barrel damage

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
stevep1954

Re: Broken rear band screw and barrel damage

Post by stevep1954 »

welcome to the forum!
Hutt wrote:What I discovered was that over time the wood in the forearm shrinks. Heating of the barrel from firing does not help the matter either.You will notice the cracks in the barrel channel when you pull it off. The barrel band screw will be tight because of this wood shrinkage makeing reassembly more difficult. More often than not I find the screw holes do not line up correctly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I trimmed the wood out of the channel of the forearm, as Marlin and Winchester do. I also fitted the band and relieved the barrel to allow the screw to pass the barrel without any pressure against it, again, as Marlin and Winchester do. I haven't had any problems with my rifles in the years and thousands of rounds since.

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=262
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Ranch Dog wrote:I trimmed the wood out of the channel of the forearm, as Marlin and Winchester do. I also fitted the band and relieved the barrel to allow the screw to pass the barrel without any pressure against it, again, as Marlin and Winchester do. I haven't had any problems with my rifles in the years and thousands of rounds since.
Thanks for the tips, Michael - gives me something to do while I am unfortunately in COVID-19 mitigation mode, stuck at home!

Hope you never have any troubles with this virus. Being in your location I doubt you are worried about it, where you are in a good location at your ranch site.

While I am at it, here is one big salute to each and every one of you Rossi Riflemen (and Women!) as we all hunker down for a while to endure this "pandemic" - by the way, I'm really catching up on my Marvel Comic movie binge-watching. Just enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 AND Vol. 2!

Take care - be well

Adam +guns
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

My TV stopped working about a year or so ago now and I haven't replaced it yet. Was working too many hours to bother.

I am rereading Louis L'Amour books.
Working on finishing up the Killkenny stories at the moment. Have the novels read and I'm working through Dutchman's Flat to be followed by Monument Rock.
I think I might have dodged the short stories since I don't generally care for them compared to full length books but the ones in Dutchman's Flat have been surprisingly good. I thought I had read them when I bought the book over a double decade ago but I don't remember them like I do most of the LL stories.

If I get to looking for something different I may pull out David Drake's Hammer's Slammers Universe or some other bit of SF/Fantasy.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My life hasn't changed much. I don't go to town much and few people come out here.

Dianna and I have canceled two trips on our airplane. We were supposed to be in St. Augustine, FL on Sunday for the week. She is an "at-risk" consideration so we didn't go. Same with St. Paul in April.

I'm just doing ranch work as normal and flying the patrol twice a week. I killed a hog an hour ago, when I got up, normal stuff.
Michael