New 92 owner - question about locking lugs

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
barrybright

New 92 owner - question about locking lugs

Post by barrybright »

I just picked up my 92 in 357 with stainless 20 inch barrel. I Am overall very pleased with it and look forward to shooting it. After getting it home and upon closer inspection I noticed that the right locking lug has been fitted to the bolt (as pictured) is this a usual finding that varies from gun to gun?

GasGuzzler

Re: New 92 owner - question about locking lugs

Post by GasGuzzler »

Dang
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
barrybright

Post by barrybright »

Dang?
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

well that made me look at mine. If that's "usual", then mine ain't ....

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Well on my two .44 Mag SS Rossi guns the lugs aren't quite symmetrical but they are quite similar and much the same sheen.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

GasGuzzler wrote:Dang
+1 more . . .

Well, the good news is 1) the forward face of the locking bolts are in contact with forward face in the recess in the bolt and 2) the rear face of the locking bolts are in contact with the rear face of the recess in the receiver. This means the lock-up is secure and safe.

The bad news is the apparently oversize recess in the receiver is shoddy workmanship (and QC). I, personally, would find it difficult to live with. I know, some regard guns as tools. But I like really nice tools, too.
barrybright

Post by barrybright »

dlidster wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Dang
+1 more . . .

Well, the good news is 1) the forward face of the locking bolts are in contact with forward face in the recess in the bolt and 2) the rear face of the locking bolts are in contact with the rear face of the recess in the receiver. This means the lock-up is secure and safe.

The bad news is the apparently oversize recess in the receiver is shoddy workmanship (and QC). I, personally, would find it difficult to live with. I know, some regard guns as tools. But I like really nice tools, too.

Thank you for input flixster. I too believe the lock up is strong as the necessary points appear to have full contact. It is a shame because I really want to like this rifle and,until seeing how it is put together, I was planning to get a 44 mag 92 in stainless. I am now rethinking and may roll the dice on a remlin even though i prefer the 92s design.

I ordered the firearm online and couldn't give it a good once over before leaving the store with it.

I too am having a hard time over looking what appears to be pretty sketchy fitting.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Not be much of a roll, reports I'm seeing are that the current manufacture RemMarlins are pretty much good out of the box. Around here Marlins and Henry are within 30 bucks of one another and I do really like my BB Steel in 44 Mag. The front loading doesn't bother me at all. When I head into the woods I drop my allowed 3 rounds in the tube and go about my business.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

Personally, I think the front loading is a benefit. I have the 454, and like you, I drop my 3 rounds down the tube and off I go.... Easier to unload too...
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

GSB4243 wrote:Personally, I think the front loading is a benefit. I have the 454, and like you, I drop my 3 rounds down the tube and off I go.... Easier to unload too...
I agree, those Rossi's have the best of both worlds. Top loading and side loading. The new side loading Henry's are like that. I'm looking forward to them building more of these.