Full Power .357mag Loads and Broken Cases

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Deleted User 327

Full Power .357mag Loads and Broken Cases

Post by Deleted User 327 »

As .357mag brass gets beat up normally with full power loads of say H110 or 296 powders, I've taken to using Lil'Gun with it's lower peak pressure. Notwithstanding the switch, as I only shoot full power handloads in both my Rossi leverguns and I've sometimes missed counted the number of of times I've reloaded my brass, I think it's prudent to have a broken case extractor on hand for them.

However, I looked and looked all over the net for someone who sells .357mag/38spl broken case extractors for the last 10 years to no avail. Recently, I found a vendor who caters to the CASS crowd who actually brings back some Stainless Steel case extractors from Germany during his yearly trek home and sells them on his site.

His store is called Shotgun Boogie Gun Works and he seems to be a really nice guy once you get use to his German accented English. The direct links to both are: 38Spl / .357mag Broken Case Extractor and 45 Colt Broken Case Extractor. As I have a set of broken case extractors for all my rifle calibers, I was happy to find these for my leverguns as I shoot them far more than any other rifle I own.

Back in 2009 when I first started using some 38spl 'once fired' brass in my new Rossis, I had a couple of case failures due to worn out brass and full power .38spl loads but those just fell out of the chamber after it cooled. I figure I was really lucky and didn't want to push my luck farther. So as soon as I found the place I tried to order one but he was out and I waited until he returned a couple of days ago from Germany with his restock.

Anyway, I placed an order yesterday for 1 of his 38/357 and 1 of his 45 Colt broken case extractors at $39 ea and $5 shipping for a total of $83. I figure it's cheap insurance to avoid any problems and/or risk damaging the barrel or chamber using another method of removing a stuck case. I got a text that he's shipped both this morning via USPS. I thought I'd share my find with you all.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Full Power .357mag Loads and Broken Cases

Post by TinMan »

Thanks for the info. Just ordered one of each. 8-)
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

I appeciate Steve's lead. Case separations are frustrating and can lead to serious damage to your firearm if you panic and resort to a ham-handed repair. Here's a little tip on how to deal with a case separation with equipment you have on hand without having to disassemble your '92.

I've never had a case separation in any of my '92s. But in another realm of my gun hobby I shoot a PCC (pistol caliber carbine) in weekly IDPA and Steel Challenge matches. I go through many thousands of 9 mm reloads each year. I use "range brass," the stuff I pick up off the ground without knowing it's origin. Last year I got into some really bad stuff and had four case separations in about 6,000 rounds. Not a frequent occurance, but feels crippling when it happens.

Here's how I get the portion of the cartridge case remaining in the chamber out. I insert a cleaning rod down the barrel from the muzzle. Next, I insert an oversize bronze brush (.45 in the case of 9 mm) into the receiver and thread the cleaning rod onto it. I then pull the oversize brush into the chamber. At this point all the bristles on the brush will be slanted backward. Finally, I thump the handle of the cleaning rod with the heel of my hand. The brush will pop out with the section of the cartridge case wrapped around it.

Honestly, it works like magic.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Back in the day, I use to shoot a ton of 40s through Glocks and a Hi-Power Carbine I picked up cheap. I too used range brass of questionable origin with full power loads (before I learned). Anyway I too went through a tough patch where I got a few case failures as did a friend I shot with who had a 40 Sig and carbine as well.

We tried the cleaning rod / oversized bore brush on them and it never worked. We tried penetrating oil and it didn't either. In fact, one failure in his carbine required that he drive a plated bullet down the barrel with a rod (essentially slugging the barrel) so that it would catch the case rim and drive the broken case out. That put a small scratch in the rifling which he hated.

Nope, I've found that using the proper tool to do the job makes it go easier and avoids any risk of damaging the rifling or chamber. But, to each his own.
johniv

Post by johniv »

Good info sir. I have not had any case head separations (yet) . My go to powder for max loads is 2400 FWIW. I will be getting a tool.
John
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks, Steve for the info. I think if you are a serious reloading/shooter, separated cases are going to happen. I've used the method dlidster suggested, but sometimes it doesn't work. particularly with rifle cartridges. I've started buying extractors for the cartridges, like the 303 British, were separated cases are not that uncommon.

I've not seen pistol case extractors, this is good, especially for the 45 Colt!
Michael
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Ive been looking for a 30-30 winchester extractor for quite some time. with no luck.
Just to put in my reload kit for an emergency.
I searched e-bay, one guy had two, 303 british and 30-30 winchester, made by the old EC Herkner co. out of Idaho.
they were listed $12.95 each, or make an offer.
I bought the 30-30 for $20.00.
well made little extractor.
I will keep it with my lyman 310 die set.
Should work when i pull the rim off and have a stuck case in a die.
Should change my name to Brass Crusher, +guns
trekker

Post by trekker »

Mad Trapper wrote: they were listed $12.95 each, or make an offer.
I bought the 30-30 for $20.00.
:?: