Rossi 92 loading gate problems

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
fredlord

Rossi 92 loading gate problems

Post by fredlord »

As long as I use RN or jacketed small-cavity HP rounds, I have no problem loading the magazine tube to full capacity. On the other hand, I seem to be having problems with loading certain types of rounds into the magazine tube. When I try to insert rounds with any sort of swaged soft flat point bullets or HP with large cavities in through the loading gate they will not smoothly slide into the magazine tube. Sometimes 1, 2, or 3 rounds will feed in before further loading is not possible. I'm thinking the rounds are turning from straight ahead under pressure from the incoming rounds and hitting something. At other times, even the first round will not go into the magazine tube. When I pull the stuck rounds back out, there is always some damage to the edges of the flat point where it meets the ogive. I read of one Rossi 92 owner who found a rough spot on the inside of the receiver where the left side of the magazine feed ramp tapers into the tube. This area might benefit from a bit of smoothing. The area seems to be rather hard to get to though. I have a normal Dremel tool but I trying to figure out how to get into this tight area at the bottom of the receiver to smooth the surface down. Has anyone come up with any sort of way to get in there? Do I have to remove the magazine tube and reach in from the front of the receiver? Any suggestions would be welcomed.
I have shortened the magazine spring and installed a metal follower. I have not lightened the loading gate spring yet. Attached is a photo of the typical loads that will not feed into the magazine through the loading gate.
I would like for this rifle to accept more types of ammunition if possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Rossi 92 loading gate problems

Post by Archer »

My personal opinion is the mag spring does not particularly need shortening. I know others do disagree.

Again, my personal opinion, keep your dremel out of your guns, especially if it doesn't reach precisely where you need it. If the area needs smoothing disassemble to get at the problem and address it with a little emory cloth or polishing compound a little at a time.

My 92s can be a little difficult to load, with the short straight walled bullets they are a little more difficult than longer rifle rounds or bottle necked cartridges but the same principles apply. Angle the bullet as little as possible during feeding and it tends to be easier to push the last round in with the next round rather than pushing each one all the way in each time. I have thought about going after any 'rough' spots but I figure another several hundred rounds or so and they should smooth out a little during the process.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I've got a tapered, 4" hand-held round stone that sees a lot if use for projects like this. Deburr your ejection port, inside and out, and the gate itself on both sides. I'd also consider pulling the magazine tube to see if there's a sharp burr, inside the tube where the cartridges enter it. Rossi has a gift for leaving burrs in out-of-the-way places that inhibit smooth operation.

I've never felt compelled to shorten the magazine spring either, Archer. My unaltered 20" 45 Colt will hold 11 255 grain RNFP's in the tube plus one in the chamber. If figure that ought to be enough for most days.
fredlord

Post by fredlord »

Thank you for the words of wisdom. I am going to lighten the loading gate spring but I don't have access to a grinding wheel right now. I'll locate a grinder among friends and go after that. Today I carefully loaded dummy rounds into the Rossi with the carrier depressed out of the way so I could see what was happening. The problem is definitely the rough-edged and very angular ramp feeding into the magazine tube.I think when I do the loading gate spring I will take off the magazine tube and check it for burrs. I will then attempt to come in through the opening where the magazine tube fits into the receiver and polish whatever parts of the ramp I can get access to with the Dremel. It doesn't look too bad and I will just smooth things up a bit. It's true I can mostly force the stubborn rounds into the magazine tube by pushing in hard against the loading gate but it would be so much nicer if they slipped in without all the fuss. Hopefully, a lighter loading gate spring and a bit of polishing will solve the problem.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You might get a round or round-flat file to the work on the magazine tube port. I used one to some the interior edges of the port. I don't care for Dremels around a firearm.
Michael
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

Ranch Dog wrote:I don't care for Dremels around a firearm.
Words of wisdom.
fredlord

Post by fredlord »

Okay. Point taken. I will see what it looks like. I have a nice small file set and several small stones if I need them. I tend to proceed with caution anyway. Mostly I was thinking of using one of the rubber-based grinding bits to smooth things up without removing much metal.
fredlord

Post by fredlord »

I finally got around to taking the Rossi receiver apart.
I lightened the loading gate spring slightly, polished the feed ramp and adjusted the cartridge stop a bit. I couldn't figure out how to get into the front receiver corner where the flat tipped cartridges are hanging up but it is easier to feed them now with the lighter loading gate spring. The loading gate and spring were made in one piece rather than like the two-piece gates I've seen on here. I need to alter the cartridge stop a bit more so I'll be tearing down the receiver again. I also smoothed and polished the lever latch pin. That made more difference than I expected. I still cannot get the replacement ejector spring installed. It's longer with lighter gauge wire than the stock spring but I can't seem to get the dummy cartridge to seat flat enough to slide the bolt in with the replacement spring. Maybe next time. If anyone has a tip on how to do that, I'd be very grateful.
dalek

Post by dalek »

dlidster wrote:
Words of wisdom.
How about a more delicate tool?
fredlord

Post by fredlord »

dalek wrote:
dlidster wrote:
Words of wisdom.
How about a more delicate tool?

Nice! Makes a Dremel tool look sad.