'92 and pressure

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: '92 and pressure

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

ddj wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Make sure you have had plenty of coffee before attempting to read that article.[/quote
I did it. Got the coffee pot fired up and read it. Interesting article. I'm finally getting around to loading a 300 grain load for my 45 Colt-long over due. A big thanks to Mad Trapper for the article
300 grain loads are fun if you like recoil :D . I shoot the Lee 452300 over H110, but time permitting I'm planning to switch to Lil'Gun. My loads are okay during hunting season with a heavy coat. Load testing from the bench I resort to a heavy duty PAST recoil pad. Work up carefully these aren't gramp's 45 Colt loads.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
ddj

Post by ddj »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
ddj wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Make sure you have had plenty of coffee before attempting to read that article.[/quote
I did it. Got the coffee pot fired up and read it. Interesting article. I'm finally getting around to loading a 300 grain load for my 45 Colt-long over due. A big thanks to Mad Trapper for the article
300 grain loads are fun if you like recoil :D . I shoot the Lee 452300 over H110, but time permitting I'm planning to switch to Lil'Gun. My loads are okay during hunting season with a heavy coat. Load testing from the bench I resort to a heavy duty PAST recoil pad. Work up carefully these aren't gramp's 45 Colt loads.

Make smoke,[/quote
It looks like that I'm using the same mold as your using. I do like to shoot something with a little spunk once in a while but not for hours on end. This is strictly a hunting load. I have a new 16" 92 that I plan on using it in I have Lil'Gun on hand and probably will use it. I know it will be a kicker :D
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Ohio,
I recall this question coming up some time ago. Specifically, the question was regarding what can the 92 handle pressure wise. Obviously, each caliber will have its SAAMI specs, but that doesn’t answer what or how well the Rossi is built regarding its own pressure limits. I’ve always felt good knowing the Rossi 92 was built with a pretty fair safety net should a reloading SNAFU occur or otherwise. Now to my point. I recall in a discussion, that the 45Colt rifles were built with the same barrels as the 454 Casull. A round to handle pretty high pressures. This does not give anyone the right to be stupid, but it does provide that safety net I mentioned. I have loaded using H110 and Ligun and essentially making near 45Colt magnum rounds with no problems. This was with new Starline brass. Let us know how you do. I’m going out on a limb here, by the discussion mentioned, I think :roll: , was from a member who lived in Alaska and his name was....wait for it....wait for it...nope, nothing. If I have a reverse brain fart and think of it, I’ll find it and post a link.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Well yesterday I finally got around to clocking my 2 45 Colt hunting loads. Both these loads are using my cast Lee 452300 gas checked and lubed they go right at 310, both shoot into an inch at 50 yards out of my Rossi 20" octagonal with a Marbles tang sight and factory front. Both the loads are under the closest listed max loads by at least a grain. The chronograph is a Magnetospeed Sport so the start sensor is about an inch from the muzzle.

H110 3 Shots Lo 1491 Hi 1486 Avg 1493 SD 2.6

Lil'Gun 3 Shots Lo 1526 Hi m1527 Avg 1526 SD 1

Star Line cases, Winchester Standard/Magnum primers

Shot these indoors and the small sample is mostly out of respect for my old shoulder and until I get the pot fired up I'm running low on that bullet.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Wow...that SD of 1 could use some work. +corn +guns
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:Wow...that SD of 1 could use some work. +corn +guns
I'm thinking maybe one or two granules may help :lol: .

I will say I'm liking Lil'Gun more and more.

Make smoke,
JRexA

Post by JRexA »

According to Buffalo Bore, the '92 Rossi can handle even their Hottest .44 Mag +P+ Loads with 340 Grain Bullets.
You just need, to Single load them, they won't feed.
I have no idea, what pressure, they are, but I guess, it is way above the Normal .44 Rem Mag loads at 36,000 PSI.

Some say, that +P+ is 120% Pressure, or around 43,200 PSI, for .44 Mag, but that is a Guesstimate... :?
Happy Shooting from Greenland
Jesper Rex