Rossi 92 in stainless puma early 80s by the number

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Kiwi-Hunter

Re: Rossi 92 in stainless puma early 80s by the number

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Hi GasGuzzler
No one else has put their hand up and called it polished steel +1 .
GasGuzzler wrote:You can tell by looking at the finish near the pins and where the contours change. I have "de-blued" and polished a lot of parts.
No one ever regrets buying quality
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

When done properly (better than the example shown) it looks like chrome. The Puma medallion would be a great reason to skip trying the process on this particular gun. The polishing will fade sharp edges and details if taken too far.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Hi Kiwi Hunter,
I had one with a worn finish and had it cerakoted,

Coote

Post by Coote »

Wow Mad Trapper, your gear is just beautiful. Those pictures would be worth framing.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Coote wrote:Wow Mad Trapper, your gear is just beautiful. Those pictures would be worth framing.
Thank you Brother.
I usually make my own gear.
Think i made the saddlebags about 5 years back.
Saw a pic on the web of a set of original civil war saddlebags, i started drawing a pattern on paper, trying to match it up with the original bags, got as close as i could to the pic, then transferred the drawing to heavy card stock paper, cut it out, then applied it to some leather i had, sewed it by hand with heavy weight linen thread, waxed with bees wax.

Every time i take a long trip from home, i take the bags and carbine.
One bag holds a 50 round box of ammo, rifle cleaning kit, first aid kit,compass, fishing kit.
Other bag has a water filter, 1 lb of jerky, instant coffee, camp knife, fire starting kit with fire steel, matches and lighter.
Bedroll holds 2 emergency sleeping bags, 6x8 piece of canvas and a 8x10 bushcraft tarp.
A good friend gave me the canteen, he said it came from the Vietnam war.
I put a leather cover over it, laced it up and added a leather strip for a carrying strap.
Coote

Post by Coote »

I think it is great that you have gear that is functional and beautiful. And I'm impressed with how much useful stuff you have in that kit.

I am quite a do-it-yourselfer, but I have often been inclined to go for simple solutions making use of whatever I already have... or whatever is cheapest and quickest. My gear isn't generally 'heirloom quality'.

Here is a photo showing the type of bag I often use for carrying a bit of gear.... and hopefully for carrying meat and/or fur home after a hunt. I used to use nothing more than a sack with something like a walnut in the bottom corners so that my rope strap wouldn't slip off. The green bag was made by a friend who is a sailmaker. It is a great meat-pack but, like the synthetic sack, it can be a bit noisy when travelling through scrub. About 13 years ago I made a similar pack from soft polarfleece. This fabric is tough and very quiet, and I'm still using it.

Here is a picture showing the bag and one of my functional knife rigs. The sheath is made from polythene water pipe which I heated in the oven and moulded to shape around a dummy wooden knife. Although it isn't an attractive sheath, it is very safe and can be easily washed. The rope 'belt' doesn't have a buckle. Instead a cord loop is passed over a Celtic button knot. The loop has a Prusik knot that can slide along the main rope for adjustment.

I haven't been bow hunting for a while, but I still have most of the gear that I made. The broadheads are cut from sheet stainless steel. The bow is made from a local tree called Olearia paniculata. The arrow shafts are bracken fern stalks and the feathers came from Canada geese. The string is synthetic heavy duty sewing thread.

I used to trap our local Australian brushtailed possums, so I made a shoulder bag for carrying my snares and lure etc. Sometimes I'd also take a rifle like this old Browning semi-auto which has a suppressor on it. The shoulder bag is below the pig, but it isn't doesn't look like a bag in the picture.

And in case someone is wondering what our possums look like, here is a photo. I set two pole snares and caught two possums on the same pole.

I've changed the subject of this thread a bit. Sorry about that. Don't be shy about telling me if I could be doing things better.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

All excellent bags, well made.
Great trapping also.
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

[quote="Mad Trapper"]Hi Kiwi Hunter,
I had one with a worn finish and had it cerakoted,

Yes the cerakot finish looks good what I've seen, also parkerized for ruff conditions would work well on any rifle that's lost it's blueing.
The leather work looks great.
KH
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

I've just changed the red dot of because of a condition called astigmatism.
Someone may be interested in the link, I found by photographing the dot it will tell you it's round or not.

Don't want to hijack the post.
So hears the new setup on my stainless puma in 357.
KH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Thank you Kiwi Hunter.
I like that Scout Rifle,