Finish question

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Tony Z

Re: Finish question

Post by Tony Z »

Another option is "Briwax", available in a variety of finishes. Commonly found at the checkout counter of antique stores, it is applied over the original finish. Several coats wiped on, buffed off & very easy to darken the stock with a satin finish. Multiple coats are quite durable and choice of wood colors give you the option to really tailor the stock to your preference.

In another thread, WATCO Danish Oil was also mentioned and is an excellent choice. Will take considerably longer per the time for the finish to dry, but will give a lasting finish. My opinion only, is I believe both Briwax and WATCO contain solvents that may actually dissolve into the stock Rossi finish, leading me to believe the original is less a surface finish than perhaps an oil based finish, that soaks into the wood.
North Idaho Shooter

Re: Finish question

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

dlidster wrote:These are quicky snapshots, but they will give some idea of what I've achieved on my R92. I used Fiebing's Leather Dye -- five parts Dark Brown, one part Oxblood. Unlike stains that actually cover the wood, dyes change the color of the the wood so the figure (if there is any) and grain show through.

There are lots of wood dyes on the market, but I'm familiar with Fiebing's leather dyes. And, to be honest, I had a couple of bottles on hand. I'm not certain if I've duplicated any historical colors, but the stock is reminiscent of many old guns I've seen and handled.

(Note: The two portions of the stock are a closer visual match than what shows up in the photos.)

I love the look of that stain!! I have a stainless steel 44 magnum that has the horrid "orange" color to it, and have just been putting off refinishing it. Looks like this will work wonders. Thanks again.