lever / cartridge release from mag relationship?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
stevep1954

lever / cartridge release from mag relationship?

Post by stevep1954 »

my lever, when closing, doesn't reliably trip the cartridge stop and allow another round to come out of the mag and onto the lifter. my question is what part of the lever trips that release? how can i correct that?

if i close the lever after firing rather hard and fast it seems to help get a round out of the mag and onto the lifter. most of the time it doesn't let a round out. i can feel and hear the round being released if i close the lever fast and hard most of the time.

the cartridge stop works like it should cycling 45 colt but when i go to 454 it needs a special hard and fast closing of the lever to get it to put a round on the lifter. what would be the difference between the 45 and 454 that would cause such a problem?

thanks much. this is what makes rossi's interesting:)
Last edited by stevep1954 on 04 Apr 2019 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
stevep1954

Re: lever / cartridge release from mag relationship?

Post by stevep1954 »

update:
removed and cleaned the left guide, everything looked good. spring was correctly installed.

assembled and tried 45 colt and 454 again. the 45 colt worked as it should but the 454 still would not release from the mag until i tripped the stop with my finger or if i cycled the lever enough times to get the stop to release a round onto the lifter. 8 times out of 10 the 454 round would stay in the mag being held back by the stop.

i took the mag tube out and cleaned inside and outside before i started this round of trials.

stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

should i next take out the lifter assembly? any ideas?

stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

frooge........my gosh! just what i needed. thank you so much. i love this place!
North Idaho Shooter

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

I have the same issue with a 45 colt Octagon Barrel 92. Sent it back to Rossi, and after 3 months, they sent it back and had done absolutely nothing to it. I took it apart (after getting the Steve's Gunz video), and worked on it some. It works about 95% of the time now, but still needs a little work. I improved it by taking just a VERY little metal off of the edge of the cartridge stop where it contacts the incoming shell.

This has worked for me, in this instance.