I Think I'm Going to Pass on Getting a 92..

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

Re: I Think I'm Going to Pass on Getting a 92..

Post by GasGuzzler »

My Blackhawk is almost as old as me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

You know, this topic is funny and has turned more so.
For years I looked at 'Rossi' or 'Puma' or whatever label the Brazilian 92s were being sold under and I pretty much avoided them. I've twice turned down octagonals before I purchased one. One that I'd in fact looked at but waffled on while a friend picked it up. He decided he didn't like it and I decided that at a reduced price I could give it a chance. Nice gun but heavier, slower and just a tiny bit less handy than the 20" round barreled versions. I also avoided Rossi because their rep just wasn't that great. The same 'older' guns some of you guys are claiming are the only ones to have were the ones I often looked at but left on the rack because they were obviously not quite right or because they were only available in calibers I did not want.

I've turned down Ruger RedHawks that I'd have otherwise purchased because I didn't know what the serial number range was where they weren't matching the barrel threads to the frames and they might be part of that bad production run.

As has already been mentioned Marlin quality was dropping off and when Remington bought them it really went to hades in a basket for at least a while. They are finally starting to put out some nice guns again but we still get reports of sloppy QC and things found on the rack that shouldn't have left the factory. Remington has put out at least two firearms I'm aware of that shouldn't have been released without more testing. They've purchased several decent firearms companies and rebranded the products 'remington' when quite frankly the names that were on the companies were better for the firearms in question than Remington's reputation with those types of firearms. (ARs, 1911s and lever actions although Remington hasn't done away with the Marlin name and logo yet.)

Also already mentioned but Ruger .45 Colts have always been a potential gunsmith starter revolver. Forcing cones too tight is the classic. Revolvers of all descriptions shipped with lubricants dried to glue in them.

Henry makes a darned nice gun. Currently complaints about the gold tone and silver tone ones to the effect that the plating is so thin on them that if you breath on them hard they'll scratch.

I've seen guns shipped with magazines that were put together incorrectly. Two followers stacked one on top of another, incorrect springs, .22LR mags with the slide stop button assembled on the wrong side of the mag.

Surplus guns or guns assembled from pats kits that take 'surplus' mags or other parts shipped with parts worn so badly that they'd not function. (And we've probably ALL at one time or another either cleaned out the cosmoline or helped a friend with a surplus gun where the entire weapon was dipped in that waxy crap that AFTER you scrapped it off twice you had only gotten started.

I've seen new guns come into the shop with cracked stocks from various manufacturers.
I've seen new shotguns arrive rusted inside the plastic bag they were sealed in before shipping.
For decades Springfield 1911s arrived from the factory without the extractor being tuned and had to be tuned by the user, a gunsmith or sent back for adjustments that should have been done before they were boxed. Quite often I still say a Springfield 1911 requires break in or a 'buff and fluff' because they are not properly deburred from the factory REGARDLESS of the price point.

For the first 60-70 years that semi auto handguns were available it was a given that you didn't trust them until you shot one several hundred rounds. I've just mentioned that still applies to several models and or brands but some seem to work pretty well out of the box. It seems as if Glocks, Springfield XDs, Sig Sauer (both their classic P series and at least their 5" .45 ACP 1911s) and often Kimber's 5" 1911s work from the get go. Colt no longer owns the 1911 market because in large part they could never quite get the reliability down as well as the new guys. Les Bauer sells one of the more expensive 1911s and I've heard doesn't want to hear about any 'issues' or 'problems' until you've shot it around 1000 times. (Or in other words it isn't properly lapped in or deburred from the get go and needs wearing in.)

With used guns you never know who had it or how they treated it unless you have been good friends with the owner since they acquired it.

In summary, with any purchase you are responsible for what you bring home.
It is your responsibility to check out the firearm before you do the paperwork or exchange money.
When you are purchasing new you may have some recourse as to having the manufacturer or seller help you with any problems. With most used guns you are simply stuck with the responsibility of fixing any issues on your own dime.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Archer wrote:With used guns you never know who had it or how they treated it unless you have been good friends with the owner since they acquired it.

Agreed. Doesn't bother me one bit and that is in no way a deterrent. I'm not sure there is a new gun I want, a new dealer I want to buy from, or a or anyone I trust who requires paperwork.
Archer wrote:In summary, with any purchase you are responsible for what you bring home.
It is your responsibility to check out the firearm before you do the paperwork or exchange money.
When you are purchasing new you may have some recourse as to having the manufacturer or seller help you with any problems. With most used guns you are simply stuck with the responsibility of fixing any issues on your own dime.
I agree after the edit above. And we're talking Rossi here, there is no real expectation of problems fixed on a new gun any more than fixing it yourself.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

While in theory I won't disagree with your 'edit' in practice for some states including the communist paradise I currently reside in there is currently no such thing as a legal transfer of a firearm without paper and to get caught with one that was not properly transferred after the date they changed the law is not good. Since my job requires a certain lack of convictions for things like that I try to follow the rules.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

My point in the edit is there is no paperwork in Texas if you buy from another legal Texan private party...and we have bad guns laws here compared to some States.
GaCop

Post by GaCop »

I was considering a Rossi 92 but after reading here, I think I'll hold off for awhile.
Vietnam vet.....June 66 to Dec 67
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GaCop wrote:I was considering a Rossi 92 but after reading here, I think I'll hold off for awhile.
I've not seen anything bad about the new ones that are starting to come in both stainless and blued and in 357 and 44 mag.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Pay attention to the serial number, run it on RossiUSA's web site prior to buying, and make sure it is 2017 or newer.
Michael