M92 357/38 Rough looking chamber and possible bulging brass

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Conformist

Re: M92 357/38 Rough looking chamber and possible bulging br

Post by Conformist »

I received a FedEx return label from "Repairs" in Miami, FL yesterday. I made a box to fit over the OEM box and sent my rifle back to them for repair. I'm now in wait-and-see mode.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Conformist wrote:I received a FedEx return label from "Repairs" in Miami, FL yesterday. I made a box to fit over the OEM box and sent my rifle back to them for repair. I'm now in wait-and-see mode.
Hopefully, it won't be too long gone.
Michael
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

On Saturday (4/27) My rifle was returned to me. It looks like there is a new barrel in it. This looks a lot more professionally machined than the original chamber it had. I cycled a magazine full of 38 SPL through it without any jamming too. I have included the before and after photos for comparison. Now, to get back out to a range and see how it shoots. According to the repair paper I received back, they put 23 rounds of 357 MAG and 38 SPL through it before sending it back to me.

before

after

10X magnification

Last edited by Conformist on 29 Apr 2019 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Good news! Not a bad turnaround, in geological time. Faster than a Bushnell rebate check!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Six weeks is about what they advertise. Looks good.
Michael
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Good news! Not a bad turnaround, in geological time. Faster than a Bushnell rebate check!
Ranch Dog wrote:Six weeks is about what they advertise. Looks good.
I sent it to them on March 19. It came back to me on April 27. I think that is an acceptable amount of time. It is definitely better than the 12 weeks their letter stated.

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Glad it's back looks good
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

update. Yesterday I went to the NRA range. I brought three types of ammo.

I didn’t have any problems with the rifle jamming. Some of the Fiocchi rounds did have a slight catch if I cycled the lever slowly. If I cycled the lever just right, the ejected brass would sail right over me and into the back of my chair. That made collecting the spent brass much easier. LOL.

As before the repair by Rossi, the 38 SPL brass didn’t have any bulging. The Fiocchi brass is also not showing any indication of bulging. The Geco brass does show the slight crescent bulge. Perhaps you can see it in the next photo.

Does anybody have any knowledge as to whether the Geco brass is softer or thinner than the others?

Here are my target results. I’ve marked the holes with the ammo I used. On target 1 I shot the 38 SPL then the Geco, then the Fiocchi.

On target 2 it was the 38 SPL, the Fiocchi, then the Geco. By the time I was finished, the rifle barrel was hot. It’s conjecture on my part, but I think the Geco rounds lack consistency in a hot barrel.

Target 1

Target 2

All in all, I’m happy with the rifle. I added the butt pad. I put additional dense foam into it to make the overall length around 2” longer. I also cut the extra padding so it fills in the concave shape of the butt plate. It’s very comfortable to shoot it with the padding and extra length. The additional padding also helps the pad fit better. The stock is a little bit too small for the smallest pad I could find. By adding in more foam, it pushes the pad back farther on the stock so that it fits a little snugger, The first time I shot it, the crescent stainless steel butt plate looks nice, but it was brutal on my shoulder. Shooting 38 SPL with the butt stock pad on now, is like shooting 22LR. I felt almost no recoil.