Anybody put a suppressor on the Rossi 92, 357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
OldGringo

Anybody put a suppressor on the Rossi 92, 357

Post by OldGringo »

I have seen multiple UTube videos on suppressing the Rossi 92 and the new Marlin 1894. And I have seen some old articles on here but nothing lately. Anybody on this forum do so? I bought a 16 inch just for that purpose and have a 20 inch I will leave alone. My understanding is I only need to cut off maybe 5/8 inch of the loading tube, recap it, then thread the barrel. Also, I understand the proper thread is 1/2 x 28? I have an annular cutter, proper thread cutter, and have cut them for other rifles, so cutting the threads is not an issue. Just want to make sure there is nothing else, it just seems too simple.

Also, does anyone know how tall the rear peep sight sold by Steve's Guns actually sits above the bore? My suppressor is actually pretty thin and I do not want to have to use taller sights, but was thinking of adding that peep anyway. I would appreciate knowing the actual height above the barrel.

I have a cheaper suppressor that works ok on 9mm both pistol and rifle that I will use. Anybody have any idea how quiet I can get it with 158 grain cast bullets right at 1,050 fps? Trying to get away from all the noise. I am also using suppressors on multiple 22s and they are as quiet as a BB gun and for those that have never tried them they are worth the hassle and cost. Not expecting anything close with the 357, just want to plink and hunt small stuff without protection. Any info would be appreciated.
"Any behavior is instinctive if it is performed without being based upon prior experience", lever action guns are instinctive, anyone can pick it up and know how it works... a natural extension of the human arms. +guns
Nashville Stage

Re: Anybody put a suppressor on the Rossi 92, 357

Post by Nashville Stage »

I realize that loudness is a bit subjective, but the only firearms that I've experienced which are hearing safe with suppressors are .22s. Every other pistol & rifle with a suppressor (although much nicer to be around) was still loud enough to warrant hearing protection. Granted, they weren't shooting hand-loaded subsonic rounds.

You might want to try out a .357 rifle with a suppressor & see how you like it before venturing too far down the rabbit hole.
frooge

Post by frooge »

I haven't suppressed 92 but have a rossi single shot .357 which I fitted a can style suppressor to.
The results were outstanding, very quiet with subs. Just reduced charges until the crack goes away. Almost as quiet as a .22 but you don't get that from a small unit, mines a large and fairly heavy duty unit designed for a .30 cal rifle with baffles opened up slightly. Smaller, well designed suppressors would work ok but you only get performance from volume, so if it's slimmer it might need more length. Originally the thread was 1/2x20 (pretty standard for New Zealand) but it does not leave much meat on the muzzle on a .35cal so when I was doing a few mods to the can (changing the internals and fitting point to an over-barrel style), I changed that to a metric 14x1 thread, much better. Reloading was the key to performance with this rifle. I found that your typical factory .38 special round was pretty slow (though very quiet) and typical .357 mag was too fast.Full power .357 loads were still a lot quieter and hearing protection was not really needed on the range.I have used 180gr jacketed hollow points to shoot a few small deer but you need to be close, place your shot carefully- the bullets don't expand very well at sub sonic speeds. Hope this helps
dalek

Post by dalek »

Choose whatever thread size is common for 9mm muzzle breaks/suppressors. About noise reduction, you really want to go subsonic; remember that part of the noise is caused by the combustion of gases but part can be caused by the mach wave; no muzzle break will stop the second source of noise.

If you feel brave, get a 20" barrel and cut and thread it. This way you do not need to change the rest of your Rossi to fit the can. And you have a few extra inches to get your cut and thread right. And can always go back to original later.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

dalek wrote:Choose whatever thread size is common for 9mm muzzle breaks/suppressors. About noise reduction, you really want to go subsonic; remember that part of the noise is caused by the combustion of gases but part can be caused by the mach wave; no muzzle break will stop the second source of noise.

If you feel brave, get a 20" barrel and cut and thread it. This way you do not need to change the rest of your Rossi to fit the can. And you have a few extra inches to get your cut and thread right. And can always go back to original later.

..........this.......... +1
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

dalek wrote:Choose whatever thread size is common for 9mm muzzle breaks/suppressors. About noise reduction, you really want to go subsonic; remember that part of the noise is caused by the combustion of gases but part can be caused by the mach wave; no muzzle break will stop the second source of noise.

So, just WHERE would one find a 20" barrel for a Rossi 92?