I found a slip on recoil pad that fits the R92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Wakefieldad

I found a slip on recoil pad that fits the R92

Post by Wakefieldad »

I hate the curved butt of the R92 and in the past failed to find any slip on butt pads for it. I've had one in 357 Magnum and though factory loads are fine on my shoulder if I'm squared up to it, but I have a few hundred rounds of Prvi Partizan hunting loads that are pretty hot and it rams my bony shoulder pretty good. I have a Pachmayr Small Decelerator on my shotgun and have tried to see if it would be an acceptable fit for the R92 but it's too big, as are other "small" sized slip pads used for shotguns and big bore rifles.

I recently bought an R92 in 44 Mag but haven't shot it yet because I wasn't keen on trying it out with the factory stock and metal butt plate. If a hot load 357 can bruise my 5'7" 130 lbs late 50s body I expect the 44 Mag won't be too comfortable. I accidentally came across this pad from an eBay search:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIVIZ-SP-S-Tac ... 1438.l2649

In the description it says it fits: 4 1/2" X 1 3/8" Up To 4 11/16" X 1 1/2" Stocks. So I ordered one and am happy to say that it slips on and fits the R92 butt very well. Fits snug but not so tight that it would be hard to get on or off. The padding adds about 1" to the LOP. I was worried about the convex curve of the Rossi stock's butt and how that might affect the feel of the slip on pad. But once it's on I don't feel as if there's any hollow slack in the middle. Haven't tried it out on the range yet but I'm very optimistic. You can also find it on Amazon if you search for "HIVIZ SP-S Slip On Recoil Pad, Small" if you're wary of shopping on eBay:

BTW, I'm not affiliated with the company who makes or sells these pads in any way. Just excited that I've finally found a slip on pad that fits the small and skinny cross section of the R92 stock for a cheap and easy solution to modifying that hard curved butt.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: I found a slip on recoil pad that fits the R92

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Thanks for this. My 20" 357 had a straight butt plate and is pretty comfortable even with hunting loads. The 20" octagon 45 Colt is a whole 'nother kettle of fish particularly with 325 grain hunting loads. The little bit of extra weight from the heavy barrel makes no difference at all. Range testing I wear a heavy PAST shield and hunting season is heavy jacket or coat weather.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Very cool - thanks for letting us know about this!
coyotebc

Post by coyotebc »

Thanks for the info
Wakefieldad

Post by Wakefieldad »

Took my 44 Mag R92 to the range yesterday. The pad worked great. Though to be honest, the 44 Mag ammo the range had was Armscor so is probably somewhat under powered because I did try shooting without the pad and was okay if I was standing and really braced the butt up tight to my shoulder. Shooting off the bench to try to see where the gun zeroed at I was more relaxed about holding the gun tight to my shoulder and without the pad it started to get uncomfortable after a handful of shots.
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

If you're not insistent on a slip on pad, I found this lace up pad. I have the small size one on on my M92 rifle now. I have not had it to the range yet so I cannot attest to how well it functions. For what it's worth, the one I received is lighter brown on the sleeve part, and more tan on the butt pad part.

https://www.lcsupply.com/Kick-Killer-Re ... gLBDvD_BwE

Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.
geezee

Post by geezee »

I'm looking into this as well, not so much for padding (.357/.38spcl) since I have virtually no kick, but for non skid as the smooth steel butt is prone to slipping against my shoulder while cycling the lever (needs an action job, too- separate issue). For about $100 you can get one of these which for another $25 can add a 'no drill' option allowing for attaching a sling w/o drilling the butt. I also like the extra cartridge loops. I have not seen one of these as yet.
https://www.gunstockcover.com/product.s ... tegoryId=1
2019-02-27_8-56-56.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
severnsider

Post by severnsider »

Thanks for the info. Just bought one in order to lengthen the stock a little. Will try it at the range soon!
North Idaho Shooter

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

Thanks for the info. I don't really need the recoil protection, but at a good bit over 6' tall, I can always use a little extra length on the stock. I'll have to give these a try.
armyRN

Post by armyRN »

Ok... one-click shopping with Amazon, and it should be here in a couple of days. I've been wanting something like this for my 44Mag (been looking with no luck), so we'll see how it works. Thanks!
Here's a picture of my carbine. It's been worked over by Steve's Gunz, and has the 3/4 big loop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.