454 loading question

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
stevep1954

454 loading question

Post by stevep1954 »

any ideas as to why rossi choose to put 2 methods of loading the 454 casull?
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: 454 loading question

Post by TinMan »

Loading gate for .45 Colt.....the tube for .454 ???
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

TinMan wrote:Loading gate for .45 Colt.....the tube for .454 ???
Both rounds can be loaded using either method. The tube is nice for loading and unloading the rifle completely, while the loading gate allows a shooter to top off the magazine while keeping the firearm ready and in battery.
Aim small, miss small.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

stevep1954 wrote:any ideas as to why rossi choose to put 2 methods of loading the 454 casull?
They had to stop the magazine tube from departing the receiver. This is the arrangement that they came up with to have a threaded tube. Personally, and with both my 454 and 480 having it, I find it very handy as a hunter to drop the remaining ammo out of the rifle.
Michael
OldGringo

Post by OldGringo »

Well, I have a goofy question, bear with me. I have the stainless 92, 20 inch barrel in 454. If you search my older posts you will see I value it over most guns that I own, including some high end guns that stay in my safe. I love the fact that I can side load or pull the tube cap off and dump to unload the gun. I recently found a 92 in 357 with the 16 inch tube. My plan for that gun is to thread the barrel to 1/2 x 28 and fire suppressed, took me about 3 years to find that one. I know I will be cutting a half inch or so off the tube to leave room for the suppressor. Now my goofy question, does anybody make an end cap correctly sized for the 357 tube? I also have another 92, blue 20 inch that I would also add the threaded end cap, if they make one. I do not have a lathe nor tools to easily make one, and do not want to spend the time making one with a Dremel and file, and yes I can make anything with those items. LOL. I would also appreciate any pet loads for the 454, 300 grains and up cast. Thanks.
"Any behavior is instinctive if it is performed without being based upon prior experience", lever action guns are instinctive, anyone can pick it up and know how it works... a natural extension of the human arms. +guns