Deleted

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dlidster

Re: 'Winchesters' vs 'Winchesters' vs 'Winchesters'

Post by dlidster »

I can't dispute anything Steve has said. I've had my .38/.357 R92 for going on four years and love it. I've spent countless hours tweaking, tuning, refining, and refinishing it. (After all, this is a hobby, isn't it?) And, for the $485 I paid for it, I went in regarding it as a "kit" waiting to be made into something great.

While I won't quibble over some minor design points or deviations from the original Winchester 92, I always have been disappointed that Rossi chose not to duplicate the original frame profile. I've examined countless original Winchester 92s at gun shows, but none was in a condition close to what I'd be proud to own and all were priced a good deal higher than what I'd be willing to pay.

Then, late last winter, I was lucky enough to purchase an as-new-in-box .44 magnum Browning B-92 for $930. It's absolutely gorgeous and has the correct frame profile. Fit and finish of internal and external parts is beyond anything Winchester could have done between 75 and 100-something years ago. It also is made by Miroku. Unlike the Winchester-branded 92 from the same factory, though, it does not have the tang safety or rebounding hammer. Mechanically it's as close the the original as the Rossi, both differing only with coil springs where flat springs were once used.

How do they compare? I don't bother. I'm happy to have both. They both function perfectly. I shoot only cast bullet reloads and have put thousands through the Rossi and a little over a thousand through the Browning.The Rossi has a slight edge in accuracy, but both are more than adequate for my needs.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 327 on 17 Jan 2021 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Steve I read on another forum that you have a Mossberg 464. How do you like it?
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

And what caliber is your 88?
Deleted User 327

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 327 on 17 Jan 2021 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I want another .357/.38 Rossi and I want it to WORK like my current one does NOT like my friend's in Alabama which seems to be balky with one of the two calibers. It'll feed them just not smoothly.

I also want to get it at the same price I paid for the last Rossi I bought but I'm afraid I won't see it anywhere near half list price...

The Browning Miroku B92s were nice guns but I think they only produced them in one configuration.
The last one I looked at (during a show in Vegas) appeared to have a plastic barrel band on it and I walked away rather rapidly. During that same show I found a Miroku Winchester 1886 TD that I wound up buying.
SWEET shooting gun.
Deleted User 327

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 327 on 17 Jan 2021 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

Archer wrote:. . . appeared to have a plastic barrel band . . .
Actually, the barrel bands are highly polished anodized aluminum. I really do wish Browning had specified Miroku make them of blued steel. The barrel bands and the front sight are the two design points that do annoy me. On these Rossi did a much better job.