Crescent Buttplate & Arthritic Shoulder = Pain: But Relief

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Deleted User 327

Crescent Buttplate & Arthritic Shoulder = Pain: But Relief

Post by Deleted User 327 »

So, as many of you know, I've posted about my Rossi 357mag and Uberti 45 Colt leverguns. I have a carbine and rifle in both calibers and the rifles have crescent buttplates that don't fit my shoulder well to begin with. However, the last 6-9 months I've noticed the start of some arthritis symptoms in my shoulder; a bit of burning low level pain at times.

Anyway, last time I went out with my 357mag rifle, about 1 month ago, my shoulder hurt like heck to fire my full power loads. I tried my Mini-14 and it felt fine so it was the shape of the crescent buttplate that was causing the issue. Later, I got home and had a nice bruise from shooting. That really concerned me as my Rossis are my favorite plinkers and losing them would be a blow.

I looked on line and at Cabella's for a slip on recoil pad for my shoulder and found one from Caldwell, their 'Field Shield at $22 so I ordered it on Amazon. Two days later it was here.

Anyway, I took it out to the range yesterday afternoon to try it with my Rossi rifle and it's dreaded crescent buttplate. Even though my shoulder was hurting a bit before I started out to the range, with the shield on I could shoot my Rossi with no pain at all. Yes, it takes a bit of getting use to the 3/8" or so thick pad on your shoulder and how the buttstock engages it but I quickly found a way to use it effectively and it's a none issue.

Not shown is a strap that goes around your chest from the back piece to the right side of the pad. It Velcros on so it fast and the shield is reversible for lefties too; just turn it inside out. Best of all, it slips right off easily and I was still able to shoot my Mini without it with ease. Arthritis now not a problem and I'm pain free again.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Crescent Buttplate & Arthritic Shoulder = Pain: But Reli

Post by Arroyoshark »

+1

Yep, those Past Pads are miracle workers for shooting crescent butted hard kicking levers. I have used one for a few years to ease the recoil of .45-70 and .44 mag. levers.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Deleted User 327

It's not that the 357mag kicks hard, it doesn't. Rather, the shape of the crescent buttstock results in a pressure point where my shoulder is tender from the arthritis. This is confirmed by the fact that besides the low recoiling Mini-14 I shot, I also fired my M1A with M80 ball ammo without the pad and my shoulder felt fine.

BTW, I can't help but post a few pics of my Rossis. Got them both back in 2009 NIB and after slicking them up with Steve's DvD and parts help, adding a coat of WATCO Danish Walnut stain over the stock finish, and new sights, they have been great.

As I said before, I use the rifle for long range shooting at 300yds at bowling pins and steel plates off the bench so the 'bite' from the buttstock is noticeable. I usually use the carbine for knocking around and shooting up to 200yds. Both are definitely keepers and one or both always goes to the range as part of my group.

I got the rifle first in early 2009. I slicked it up with Steve's Gunz help and also added a Marbles target aperture tang and Lyman globe sights:

I had so much fun with my 357mag target shooter, I just had to get a carbine. So, in later summer of 2009, I got one:

Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

+1
Been using one for a lot of years, plus a glove when I shoot the hard thumping Contender barrels.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice pics.

I have no crescents but my waffle top .30-30 leaves my shoulder blue. Some of my R92 .357 loads are bordering painful.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

I also have a Past pad and it works great! However, I think they dropped the ball, it needs TWO straps, one doesn't get it. It needs a second strap up higher, across the shoulder, to keep the dang thing in place. Mine just refuses to stay up. I've got to find someone who can add one to it.
Deleted User 327

Are you saying that the strap around your chest doesn't hold it in place? Mine does fine. I know it's not shown in the pic above but there is a strap that goes from the back panel around your chest to a velcro tab on the front panel (with the pad). Holds it just fine.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Nice pictures of nice guns. Thank you for sharing.
I can appreciate your aged bones. Some people might think that I'm BS-ing, 45+ years of playing golf have taken a toll on my body, especially the left side. The only joints that I don't have a problem with are my shoulders...yet.
Steve, please share what works for you and your shoulder.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

COSteve wrote:Are you saying that the strap around your chest doesn't hold it in place? Mine does fine. I know it's not shown in the pic above but there is a strap that goes from the back panel around your chest to a velcro tab on the front panel (with the pad). Holds it just fine.
Correct. Damn thing slips over my shoulder, drives me nuts. Yeah, the chest strap holds the bottom fine, but it needs another one on top.
Deleted User 327

Strange, I don't have any problems with mine.