480 Ruger Hunting

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

480 Ruger Hunting

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been really tied up around the ranch, and I hoped that I would be posting this it the "Hunting" forum but not so. Last week I went out in the middle of the night to try to intercept this fellow that had started visiting a feeder in my north most pasture.

I decided a big boar hog needed a big bullet, so I pulled the R92 480 Ruger out of the safe.

Dang, that is just a fine looking rifle and the only one of the 100 produced that is configured as a saddle ring scout. Prior to dark I went up to my range and shot it at a 6" steel gong at 100 yards. The 375-grain bullet hit the gong dead center, the final shot pulling the chains that the gong hangs on right out of the treated post that it hangs from. I got to fix that tomorrow!

Sat out there from 10 pm to 2 pm and the dude never showed up. I have hog lights on the feeder, and it is not a problem shooting in about a 25' circle, centered on the feeder, with a standard rifle scope. All I got out of the night was a badger attack on the walk back home. Man, I hate them things, especially at night. It stalked me for about 25-yards, I could hear it in the thorn brush before it attacked. Another good think about wearing snake boot, but I'd rather meet the snake.

Anyway, the dude was back on the camera Monday morning about 3. Been gone a week. I figured he found a receptive sow. A boar like that has a home range of about 6 miles here in South Texas, and he will cover it every night looking for sows.

I got to shoot this rifle more; it is a heck of a firearm.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Re: 480 Ruger Hunting

Post by GasGuzzler »

Man, that's a nasty, ugly brute.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I could walk through jurassic park with that 480, maybe even stop for a picnic.
Monster boar, and tougher then our black bear around here.
when I was a kid working my uncles farm, he use to tell me I was worthless as breasts on a boar hog.
Never new what he meant at the time.
m-saunoras

Post by m-saunoras »

That is a nice hog! We don't have anything like that around here but I went to Tennessee last year to shoot one. They are unbelievably tough. Shot a big one with two 400gr hardcast bullets from a 45-70 and it still didn't go right down. My brother shot through one with a 308 and it charged us.
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Nice Hog Michael, the 480 should do a number on it.

A friend in middle Oregon dropped a very nice domestic/wild hybrid hog using a 30-30 Winchester. A near perfect heart shot, the hog took 4 steps and gently laid down. I suspect the hog went down quickly cause it wasn't hyped up, if it had been on an adrenaline rush it would probably have stayed up much longer.

m-saunoras, It sounds like one huge hog. I've seen the thick shoulder plating on a hog stop 357 slugs. I wonder how the 480 Ruger penetration would compare to the 45-70 Gov?
Aim small, miss small.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Trailboss wrote:I wonder how the 480 Ruger penetration would compare to the 45-70 Gov?
Either will pass completely through.
Michael
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Trailboss »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Trailboss wrote:I wonder how the 480 Ruger penetration would compare to the 45-70 Gov?
Either will pass completely through.
Good to know Michael. I've shot a couple of black bear with my 480. In both cases, the slug passed completely through. A single shot for each and they both dropped immediately. My 480 Rossi has become my favorite carry whether walking, on a horse, four wheeler or in my truck. Unless I'm long range stalking, I now feel good that the 480 carbine can handle anything I encounter (even big hogs).

Ken
Aim small, miss small.
coyotebc

Post by coyotebc »

I would love a ranch hand with full stock added in 480
trekker

Post by trekker »

folks can we petition rossi to make more 480 rugers? :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

trekker wrote:folks can we petition rossi to make more 480 rugers? :D
I think we will be lucky if they are still making firearms. They have yet to release a 2019 catalog.
Michael