A shoutout of thanks for my Rossi 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
BCRider

A shoutout of thanks for my Rossi 92

Post by BCRider »

It's coming up on 9 years now that I've been active in the cowboy action scene locally. And one of the first guns I bought to take part in the madness was my trusty Rossi 92. In that time I've shot quite a few thousand rounds out of it including black powder (Pyrodex mostly and recently some real black) to go with my oddly quirky love of Frontiersman category shooting with cap and ball revolvers and smokey ammo for the rifle and shotgun.

Through it all my Rossi has performed like a champ with no actual failures of any sort. Probably twice a year, or after every black powder weekend, I break it down and clean it stem to stern.

It's smoother now than it was when new and it's just a pleasure to use for either matches or even casual plinking now and then.

Old JMB sure knew what he was doing with his vertical travel locking bar style actions in all his lever rifles. But of them all I'd have to say that the 92 is the star of the lot. And I say that from having two 94 and a 95. None of them are as sweet to cycle and shoot as the 92. I've even shot some Marlin 94's that were slicked up for cowboy shooting. And frankly I still prefer my 92.

Last year I added a Uberti Henry (1860) in .44-40 to the herd and recently doubled up on this .44-40 direction with a brand new sexy looking Miroku/Winchester 1873. So the 92 won't be seeing much, if any, black powder shooting any more. But it'll certainly still see it's share and more of ammo for the smokeless cowboy duty days.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A shoutout of thanks for my Rossi 92

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very well said! It seems that 99% of our posts concern where to find a 92, but not many about actually shooting them! Very nice reading.

It has been a busy summer outside, but I've been doing some bench work involving my 454 Casull that I will soon document to be followed up by both the 45 Colt and 44 Mag.
Michael
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Thank you BC for that write up.
Ive read articles in the past where the SASS guys say they have put thousands upon thousands of rds through there Rossi 92s, with no sign of wear or tear.
I was reading Paco Kellys article the other day, probably read the same article many times over,( 357 magnum and the literature ), where he only does super hot loads in his rossi 92s.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

Just looking through my re-loading records, I've put at least 4,000 rounds of LRN ammo through my CASS guns, and I'm working through my 5th order of a thousand rounds of projectiles. That doesn't include any of the other copper plated or jacketed stuff that I've shot. My rifle feels better than ever. If anything, I'd say it's finally broken in.
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

I agree with the OP. I've had my 2 357mag Rossis since I got them NIB in 2009, and they are still the 'must have' choice for a range trip. Even though I also have 2 Ubertis in 45 Colt, a 24" 1873 Special Sporting Rifle and a 19" 1866 Yellowboy Carbine, the Rossis are the ones I love to shoot. Light, slim, easy shooting, accurate, and cheaper to shoot my 158grn handloads than the cheapest 22mag ammo I can find on the web. What's not to like about them?

As I handload, I've got them dialed in with 158grn bullets as the carbine is good for 8" steel plates at 200yds while the rifle with it's tang rear and globe front sight can ring the 12" steel plate at 300yds! Even after thousands of rds through each, every time I take them out to the range and 'smack steel', they put a smile on my face. Also, the carbine, coupled with a SA Cav length pistol, make a great combo for some of my walkabouts up in the Rockies.
Hellgate

Post by Hellgate »

Hey BC Rider,
We ride the same trail. I bought my first Rossi '92 back in 1993 when nobody wanted them. I think I paid under $200 for it. It is the Puma saddle ring model with the Puma medallion on the receiver. I have put untold thousands of rounds through it and as has been stated, no wear & tear other than "cart wear" on the bluing. I cast my own bullets (love those gang molds). It has shot real gunpowder (BP) and every substitute ever made since then. I had a friend slick it up once so it quit dinging the case mouths. I have another in SS that I put a Wolf spring kit in it and it is like butter. You gotta have a backup, right?

I'm just too cheap to pay $1000 for a '73 and then another $300+ for all the kits & parts to short=stroke/slick it up when I'm shooting in the Frontiersman category anyway. By tallying empty percussion cap tins I've put over 30,000 round balls down range (mostly in SASS shoots) and using the original blued '92 70% of the time.

My "BP" load is the Lyman 358311 case 158gr RNFB bullet of soft alloy, sized to .358", deer tallow/beeswax lube, 15grs by Wt FFFg 777, in the .357 RP nickeled hull & SP primer, COAL 1.61". It shoots 1.5"@50yds all day long. I could never get an accurate real BP load not foul the barrel w/o doing a wet "pull through" after every stage or two. I could not get the Snakebite grease wagon bullet to feed reliably and got tired of black soot ruining my shirt sleeves. I guess I coulda just worn all black clothing. Anyhow, I look forward to this forum. Nice to see some familiar faces.
Hellgate SASS#3302
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome from Washington!