Project Stainless Rossi .357 “Lever Scout” SBR

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project Stainless Rossi .357 “Lever Scout” SBR

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice work, you a very talented!
Michael
kingstrider

Post by kingstrider »

Haven't updated this thread in a while but I picked up this Allen padded bag at the last gun show. They market this as a pistol grip shotgun case but it is the perfect size for the gun and has zippered pockets for the suppressor, ammo etc. I should have bought a couple more for the Marlin SBRs that I'm working up so might have to order them online instead.

Also got around to making a video of the gun in the new configuration. I'm currently loading what I call 357SS ammo which uses 357 cases with Unique powder and the Lee Lyman 358430 bullets seated to the first crimp groove. This load is fairly accurate and mitigates any chamber fouling from using the shorter 38 special brass. At 50 yards there is an evident change in point of impact but I have found the gun is a little more accurate when the can is installed.
[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

One thing I have noticed is the Labradar won't pick up shots when the suppressor is installed on the gun. I spoke to one of the engineers who recommended the optional external microphone but my subsonic loads just don't seem to have enough 'boom' to trigger the unit regardless of setting or sensitivity level. I can always clock the loads without the can but it is kind of frustrating because I like to get to the range early and shoot without ear pro before anyone else shows up.

I have also experimented with several lighter bullets at subsonic speeds such as the Lee TL358-158-SWC shown below. I haven't played around enough to find a load the gun likes yet but got in on the group buy for the MP 358-165-RF Larsen mold on the Cast Boolits website and will probably come back to this in the months ahead. Regardless the gun is an absolute blast to shoot and is one of my favorites.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

One can do all kinds of cool things - if one has a fully equipped machine shop.....