A year with the Rossi 357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
ethang

A year with the Rossi 357

Post by ethang »

I realized today I am just over a year with my Rossi 357. In that time I have not shot it near as much as I had hoped to. I am glad I decided not to take it apart and slick it up. Several thousand dry fires had made her as smooth as butter. The refinished stock looks great and every now and then I rub on a new coat of linseed oil and think about adventures I would like to have. Work has gotten in the way of load development but hoping that gets better this fall. She has became very quickly my favorite rifle. My AR's meet my rifle needs at work, but this lovely little girl satisfies me in ways that plastic and aluminum can't.

If that sounded a bit odd I can understand... but don't care... Happy Labor Day everybody
Plastic has no soul...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A year with the Rossi 357

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hope you have a good weekend as well and Happy Birthday to the Rossi!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

It goes so fast.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
phoenix1151

Post by phoenix1151 »

I read your post with some chagrin, as I have been even more derelict in my "duties" as it has been two years :shock: as of last month that I got my 20" octagonal barrel, case hardened receiver, .357mag Rossi and have only put 200 rounds through it! I had planned on starting Cowboy Action in 2016, but now I'll have to aim for 2017. I don't "work" with my AR's, but they have taken up my focus as of late. What with hunting season coming up, the Rossi will reside in the safe until spring (as I use other firearms for deer hunting) unless I opt to take it to the range for more sight-in and "play" through the winter.
ethang

Post by ethang »

phoenix1151 wrote:I read your post with some chagrin, as I have been even more derelict in my "duties" as it has been two years :shock: as of last month that I got my 20" octagonal barrel, case hardened receiver, .357mag Rossi and have only put 200 rounds through it! I had planned on starting Cowboy Action in 2016, but now I'll have to aim for 2017. I don't "work" with my AR's, but they have taken up my focus as of late. What with hunting season coming up, the Rossi will reside in the safe until spring (as I use other firearms for deer hunting) unless I opt to take it to the range for more sight-in and "play" through the winter.

I have argued unsuccessfully that a pistol caliber lever rifle will do as well as an AR for most things needed out of a "work" rifle but alas, tacticool is what all the cool kids are running. I have told the boss I want to run a carbine course with my Rossi just to see how she does.. we will see.
Plastic has no soul...
afjungemann

Post by afjungemann »

I haven't had a chance to shoot my 92 in a month or so. I have carried it a lot for some raccoon/skunk hunts but not target shooting. I will say, I probably shoot 100-200 rounds when I do get out to shoot it for target practice. It is so much fun and anyone I shoot with soon wants to run some rounds through it. I have some hunting goals for it this year...
Woody

Post by Woody »

My 92 in .357 has become one of my favorites. It's the gun I always have handy around the house and woods etc.
BCRider

Post by BCRider »

ethang wrote:......I have told the boss I want to run a carbine course with my Rossi just to see how she does.. we will see.
The results might be an eye opener for you and your boss. I've used my Rossi 62 rimfire pump action rifle on a few occasions to shoot at the local Speed Steel events. I pretty regularly beat out a number of Ruger 10/22 shooters that are using red dots with this thing. No reloading on the clock involved though.

And for how I like my firearms to handle I find the pump action WAY more fun.... It's like I'm a kid back at the local fair trying to win some sort of cheezy prize at the shooting gallery ! ! ! !
Droopybassets2

Post by Droopybassets2 »

I for one have decided no more center fire semi auto rifles thanks to a 357 Rossi. The M1 carbine, AK74, AK47, SKS, Garand, AR and Mini-14(in my experience superior to an AR reguardless of flavor) have gone down the road.

A good pistol caliber lever is accurate enough to 200 yards, not much to break or jam, holds ten or so rounds that perform great, and is quicker than most people to get back on target after a shot.

The 92 is such a brilliant, fantastically designed rifle. No matter what people are into with guns, that is one thing which will never be able to be disputed.
dalek

Post by dalek »

Droopybassets2 wrote:I for one have decided no more center fire semi auto rifles thanks to a 357 Rossi. The M1 carbine, AK74, AK47, SKS, Garand, AR and Mini-14(in my experience superior to an AR reguardless of flavor) have gone down the road.
Does that mean you replaced all those rifles with the Rossi 92?

FYI, I really am curious about your answer. And in a good way (what a concept! What's wrong with me?)