A year with the Rossi 357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pepperpete

Re: A year with the Rossi 357

Post by pepperpete »

Happy Birthday ethang. I have been shooting my .357 Rossi '92 in Single Action and hunting for over 2 years now and just love this little gun. Recon I've put around 4,000 of my semi hard cast 158gr and 125gr Lees through it and it's still as good as new. Just clean it and keep it oiled and we go again.
Pete
"Freedom is like respect and love. It has to be earned every day by your actions and re-actions".
g5m

Post by g5m »

ethang wrote:I realized today I am just over a year with my Rossi 357. In that time I have not shot it near as much as I had hoped to. I am glad I decided not to take it apart and slick it up. Several thousand dry fires had made her as smooth as butter. The refinished stock looks great and every now and then I rub on a new coat of linseed oil and think about adventures I would like to have. Work has gotten in the way of load development but hoping that gets better this fall. She has became very quickly my favorite rifle. My AR's meet my rifle needs at work, but this lovely little girl satisfies me in ways that plastic and aluminum can't.

If that sounded a bit odd I can understand... but don't care... Happy Labor Day everybody
Yep, work and life do seem to get in the way.
I hope you can enjoy it more soon.
ethang

Post by ethang »

Thread resurrection here...was re-reading some old post about the 180 grain 357 loads and came across this one. Holy cow a year with the Rossi is now going on 7. Yesterday I loaded up another few hundred 158 grain loads and plan to finally put together some of the 180's I bought years ago from GasGuzzler.

For the record, this is still my most favorite rifle. She needs another coat of oil rubbed in the stock and another range day soon.
Plastic has no soul...
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I go to the old man amusement park at least once a week ... sometimes two or three times. My only two R92's, 20" 44 mag and 16" 357 mag, usually alternate - regardless of what else I'm shooting. That little stainless, naked, 357 get's my attention more than anything else. Many times I don't even hang paper and just limit myself to the usual 20-25 rounds on the 8" steel plate at 100 yards. With a properly "seasoned barrel" I can still hit 18 out of 20 from the bench, which is good for me. It's been really good therapy since my 2016 unpleasantness.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I've found that the 180 gr RNFP coated bullet with 11.5 gr of 2400 works the best for my 20" Rossi.
ethang

Post by ethang »

golfish wrote:I've found that the 180 gr RNFP coated bullet with 11.5 gr of 2400 works the best for my 20" Rossi.
I always have grand plans to try new stuff, and then life gets in the way and it doesn't happen. I bought some 2400 for just this reason but have yet to try it.
Plastic has no soul...
cavelamb

Post by cavelamb »

Rossi R92 357 at 50 yards.
Not bad for an old man.
I love this rifle!
50 yards with the Buckhorn sights.
They average about an inch and a half.

My AR is a Ruger AR446 (8500).
This is why I keep an AR...
50 yards with the basic fold down sights.

I can do that out to 150 yards with the AR.
Can't with the Rossi.

Just sayin...