.480 Ruger

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
muleman

.480 Ruger

Post by muleman »

I hopefully will get some time to post some pics in the near future of my New to Me S.S. .480 Ruger. The weather has been awfully cold and I been away at work a lot, but I did get to shoot it a bit. I have not got a chance to reload for it yet, I look forward to that. I would sure be interested in hearing from any one else who might have one who has had some time to do some hand loading for it. With the factory stuff and the light weight of the gun, I would compare the recoil to that of my Marlin G.G. in 45-70. I think with lead bullets in the 300 gr. range I will be able to get real close to 45-70 ballistics in a little bit lighter package than my G.G. Probably not enough weight or size to make a real difference, but there is a slight difference.
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: .480 Ruger

Post by Warhawk »

I wish I had bought one of these before LSI stopped importing them. I would have gone with a 16 incher in stainless.

BFR makes a decent copy of the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .480 too.
muleman

Post by muleman »

I really lucked into this one. I had a guy on another forum who told me he had seen it in a local gun shop in WV. I called the store to buy both. They also had a S.S. 454 Casull. Well, the guy in the store told me they must have been sold, because he did not see them. I looked on their website the next day and they were still listed, so I called back and finally got somebody to talk to. I told them what I was looking for and that they were still listed. He said they were at the end of the gun rack and the other guy must have missed seeing them. The 454 sold a few hours before I got the second guy on the phone. The 480 is the one I really wanted, but I would have liked to have had the Casull also. Maybe next time???
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

muleman wrote:I really lucked into this one. I had a guy on another forum who told me he had seen it in a local gun shop in WV. I called the store to buy both. They also had a S.S. 454 Casull. Well, the guy in the store told me they must have been sold, because he did not see them. I looked on their website the next day and they were still listed, so I called back and finally got somebody to talk to. I told them what I was looking for and that they were still listed. He said they were at the end of the gun rack and the other guy must have missed seeing them. The 454 sold a few hours before I got the second guy on the phone. The 480 is the one I really wanted, but I would have liked to have had the Casull also. Maybe next time???
Did your .480 have that stupid safety switch on the receiver.
If it didn't the .454 you missed probably didn't either.
The pre-safety Rossi Pumas are getting hard to find.
The current owners aren't selling them.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
temmi

Post by temmi »

Safty or not...

I do wish I had aRossi M92 in 480R.

I just bought a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt.

Snake
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

temmi wrote:Safty or not...

I do wish I had aRossi M92 in 480R.

I just bought a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt.

Snake
The .480s are hard to find.
I don't think Braztech makes a .480R.
The 480s were made back when the Rossi 92s were sold by LSI as Pumas.
I have the .44 Mag, the .357 Mag & the .454 Casull Pumas.
The .454 Casull model will fire .45 LCs so I don't need a dedicated .45 LC model 92.
The .454 Casull model is a .45 LC model with an overdrive option plus a recoil pad and tube loading capability + a lot stronger tube magazine configuration for the same money.
I see nothing but pluses gained by choosing the .454 Casull option but that's just silly old me.
The only Puma I am missing that I want is the .480 R.
I have no interest in the Braztech R-92s with the safety.
I'll run across a Puma in .480 R some day and the set will be complete.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Pricedo, I agree with you on the 454's, I have 2 of em. I also think the chamber is held to a tighter size than most 45 Colt chambers. My Winchester and both H&R 45 Colts chambers allow the brass to expand more than the 454 chambers. DP
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Pricedo, I agree with you on the 454's, I have 2 of em. I also think the chamber is held to a tighter size than most 45 Colt chambers. My Winchester and both H&R 45 Colts chambers allow the brass to expand more than the 454 chambers. DP
And if you have the .454 C model & want to do the 45 LC+P or the .45 LC+P+ thing you have the extra margin of safety all for the same money you'd pay for a dedicated .45 LC model.
My 20' bbl .454 carbine is from the LSI Puma (no safety :D ) era.
I call the 20-inchers "carbines" and the 16-inchers "trappers"..........anything over 20" is a "rifle".........my own jargon. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Muleman, have you had any chance to work more with your 480? I have yet to see one of those in real life, caliber kinda interests me. :twisted: Waiting to hear what you work up with it. DP
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Muleman, have you had any chance to work more with your 480? I have yet to see one of those in real life, caliber kinda interests me. :twisted: Waiting to hear what you work up with it. DP

I'll bet that Paco Kelly's GUNBLAST website will have some .480 Ruger loads.
I picked up a few good recipes from there for my .454 Casull.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA