Nice 454 at Cabela's

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Nice 454 at Cabela's

Post by 44-40 Willy »

pricedo wrote:If you have a couple of buddies interested in Rossi 92/454s then negotiate for a volume discount.
That's what I did when I got my Navy Arms 1892. I got a couple of my brothers to order one apiece along with mine. The only difference in our guns was they went for the case colored receiver and I went for the blued. We got them at cost + $20 each.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Nice 454 at Cabela

Post by Arktikos »

Time to get proactive.
Get your local dealer to order one for you.
If you have a couple of buddies interested in Rossi 92/454s then negotiate for a volume discount.
I used to live in Ketchikan & Hyder, Alaska back in the 70s and that .45 LC cartridge wouldn't be too confidence inspiring when a 800 pound Grizzly came charging out of the bush at full tilt.
I'd want stiffly loaded .454 rounds pushing 300 grain Hornady XTPs at the very least in that situation.
Even better would be my Pedersoli 86/71 .45-70 cranking out those humungous 430 grain cast bullets at 2100+ fps.
I recall one grizz false-charge by a bear I surprised at a salmon creek and that sickly feeling I had in my stomach as I walked back to camp to change my underwear. 
True story.
I can laugh now but it took 2 days for my knees to stop shaking after that incident.

I have yet to experience the adrenaline rush of that sort of magnitude but my wife has. She dived over the transom of the skiff with a coworker and fortunately the kicker caught first pull and they were able to escape full throttle just as a mommy brown bear got to the beach.. I don't hold that much confidence in a 45 Colt either, and that is why I try to have the 45/70 with me when in bear country. That said, a 454 Casull lever action would be a good compromise between lugging along my 1895 or my Blackhawk 45 Colt... Some people seem comfortable with a 357 when in big bear country but I want some shock and awe if I am going to drop a hammer on an animal with the power to kill with one swipe of its 14" paw!

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
Time to get proactive.
Get your local dealer to order one for you.
If you have a couple of buddies interested in Rossi 92/454s then negotiate for a volume discount.
I used to live in Ketchikan & Hyder, Alaska back in the 70s and that .45 LC cartridge wouldn't be too confidence inspiring when a 800 pound Grizzly came charging out of the bush at full tilt.
I'd want stiffly loaded .454 rounds pushing 300 grain Hornady XTPs at the very least in that situation.
Even better would be my Pedersoli 86/71 .45-70 cranking out those humungous 430 grain cast bullets at 2100+ fps.
I recall one grizz false-charge by a bear I surprised at a salmon creek and that sickly feeling I had in my stomach as I walked back to camp to change my underwear. 
True story.
I can laugh now but it took 2 days for my knees to stop shaking after that incident.

I have yet to experience the adrenaline rush of that sort of magnitude but my wife has. She dived over the transom of the skiff with a coworker and fortunately the kicker caught first pull and they were able to escape full throttle just as a mommy brown bear got to the beach.. I don't hold that much confidence in a 45 Colt either, and that is why I try to have the 45/70 with me when in bear country. That said, a 454 Casull lever action would be a good compromise between lugging along my 1895 or my Blackhawk 45 Colt... Some people seem comfortable with a 357 when in big bear country but I want some shock and awe if I am going to drop a hammer on an animal with the power to kill with one swipe of its 14" paw!

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
If I was working in the wilderness in Alaska (AGAIN) I'd have my Ruger SuperRedhawk (7 1/2" bbl) revolver in .454 Casull strapped to my side at all times.
My truck carry gun would be the Rossi 92/454 in 16" or 20" configuration firing the same ammo.
The beauty about a handgun in a well secured belt & holster is that it is always with you.
You can leave the long gun leaning against a tree or in the truck or upset your canoe or your snowmobile or your ATV can go through the ice in the fall/winter and you'll lose the contents in the lake/creek including the rifle but the holstered handgun + the rounds in the cylinder and in the ammo belt is always with you for signaling, survival and self defense purposes.
The rifle can get exposed to the cold, snow and ice and freeze up but the revolver protected underneath your jacket or coat won't.
If your rifle is leaning against a tree 30 yards away when Yogi appears you could be in trouble.
If you are "green" (inexperienced in bear country) enough to think you can cover 30 yards to get to that rifle faster than a bear and have time to cock the hammer & shoot you shouldn't be traveling alone in the bush anyway.
The handgun in a well secured holster (that won't come out when you take a tumble) is your best friend in bear country. The rifle is your second best friend.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote: If I was working in the wilderness in Alaska (AGAIN) I'd have my Ruger SuperRedhawk (7 1/2" bbl) revolver in .454 Casull strapped to my side at all times.
My truck carry gun would be the Rossi 92/454 in 16" or 20" configuration firing the same ammo.
The beauty about a handgun in a well secured belt & holster is that it is always with you.
You can leave the long gun leaning against a tree or in the truck or upset your canoe or your snowmobile or your ATV can go through the ice in the fall/winter and you'll lose the contents in the lake/creek including the rifle but the holstered handgun + the rounds in the cylinder and in the ammo belt is always with you for signaling, survival and self defense purposes.
The rifle can get exposed to the cold, snow and ice and freeze up but the revolver protected underneath your jacket or coat won't.
If your rifle is leaning against a tree 30 yards away when Yogi appears you could be in trouble.
If you are "green" (inexperienced in bear country) enough to think you can cover 30 yards to get to that rifle faster than a bear and have time to cock the hammer & shoot you shouldn't be traveling alone in the bush anyway.
The handgun in a well secured holster (that won't come out when you take a tumble) is your best friend in bear country. The rifle is your second best friend.
Cannot find fault in any of what you said! I tend to like SA over DA revolvers but there are options for SA as well, all a little pricey for me right now with me building one house and converting another to a duplex, all out of pocket. Someday I will upgrade to something other than my BH 45 Colt as my new "best friend" :) One thing I have tried to do when out in the brown bears domain is to keep alert, make some noise, but not be so engaged in conversation that you are not paying attention to the surroundings. Stop, look and listen, try very hard to avoid limited visibility areas, be cautious where to set up camp. I still believe the best bear defense is not a gun but the gray matter between the ears...
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!