Nice 454 at Cabela's

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice 454 at Cabela's

Post by Ranch Dog »

I thought I would give you guys who are looking a head's up on what appears to be a nice '92 chambered in 454 Casull at a Cabela's store. I'm tempted to call and buy it in the morning but I'd rather one of you guys write the range report on it! ;)

It does have the little wiggly safety thingy mounted on the bolt :o but it seems like a fair price.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Nice 454 at Cabela's

Post by akuser47 »

looks purty all in the eyes of the beholder. I like it though.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:looks purty all in the eyes of the beholder. I like it though.
Chiropractors will appreciate the extra business from new .454 owners. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

i have 2 of them, a 16" stainless and 20" blued. Both are accurate with my heavy 45 colt load of 315gr SWC over 24.0 gr H-110 as well as 454 loads. Both of mine feed the colt load without issue. The 16" is quite "lively" with full house loads, ya need to have a good grip on the forestock or she will jump out of your hand. :o I like the fact you can feed the rounds right in to the tube, ( like a 22 LR), or feed them in the loading gate. The 20" blued was used lightly when I found it in a local GS, and I liked it so much as soon as I saw the 16" stainless setting on the shelf, it was mine. I prefer to use these with my 45 colt load instead of my other 45 colt rifles as the chambers are cut much tighter and the brass doesn't expand as much and get work-hardened as quick. If anyone is thinkin about it, I'd say grab it before it's gone. DP
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

dpe.ahoy wrote:i have 2 of them, a 16" stainless and 20" blued. Both are accurate with my heavy 45 colt load of 315gr SWC over 24.0 gr H-110 as well as 454 loads. Both of mine feed the colt load without issue. The 16" is quite "lively" with full house loads, ya need to have a good grip on the forestock or she will jump out of your hand. :o I like the fact you can feed the rounds right in to the tube, ( like a 22 LR), or feed them in the loading gate. The 20" blued was used lightly when I found it in a local GS, and I liked it so much as soon as I saw the 16" stainless setting on the shelf, it was mine. I prefer to use these with my 45 colt load instead of my other 45 colt rifles as the chambers are cut much tighter and the brass doesn't expand as much and get work-hardened as quick. If anyone is thinkin about it, I'd say grab it before it's gone. DP
I have a 20"round barrel blue Amadeo Rossi Puma model 92 in .454 Casull imported several years ago by LSI.
It is as JMB "blueprint" as a modern 92 clone can be and is without the bolt safety found on later Braztech R92 models.
My gun has the really handy tube feed feature spoken of in the quoted post.
The wood has an authentic legacy look to it and you would think the gun had been sitting in the cabinet since 1892.
I did a lot of cleaning, stoning & polishing on the gun initially as well as install Steve Youngs (Steve's Gunz) Rossi 92 tune-up kit and the gun is as smooth cycling and accurate as my Pedersoli model 71 in .45-70 that I paid 4 X the money for.
I would recommend one of these Rossi model 92s to anyone who is willing to invest the initial effort and get their hands & fingers a little dirty to tune the gun up to its maximum potential.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

This is one of THE guns I would really love to own. I would load up some 454 Casull loads for it and just keep them in a dry place and then shoot mostly 45 Colt through it. What a perfect gun to pack when weight is an issue in place of the guide gun. Not saying it will replace my 1895 but sometimes I just want something a bit more manageable when out backpacking etc for the chance encounter with a mean griz or brown bear. I like the fact that it can be loaded and unloaded from either end of the tube and terrible recoil aside, would probably be brought along more than something heavier. I know, 2 lbs isn't that much of a difference but carry it all day and it will be more pleasant.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think a fellow on TaurusArmed.net bought it this morning.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

There are .44 Mag & .45 LC Rossi 92s around but no .454s or .480s.
I found one 20" .454 model on the internet last week but it went the same day.
With the .454 model you get the stronger receiver and higher power option plus the MUCH stronger double threaded magazine tube assembly with the tube feed port and a recoil pad for the same money.
If you don't like the .454 recoil you have the option of shooting .45 LCs in your .454. If Yogi comes charging out of the bush then you have the .454 option.
I very seldom shoot full power .454 ammo from my Rossi 92 but it's good to have the option.
For the same money get the .454 Casull model..........especially if you live in Alaska (Big Bad Yogi country).
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:There are .44 Mag & .45 LC Rossi 92s around but no .454s or .480s.
I found one 20" .454 model on the internet last week but it went the same day.
With the .454 model you get the stronger receiver and higher power option plus the MUCH stronger double threaded magazine tube assembly with the tube feed port and a recoil pad for the same money.
If you don't like the .454 recoil you have the option of shooting .45 LCs in your .454. If Yogi comes charging out of the bush then you have the .454 option.
I very seldom shoot full power .454 ammo from my Rossi 92 but it's good to have the option.
For the same money get the .454 Casull model..........especially if you live in Alaska (Big Bad Yogi country).
Unfortunately they never seem to send those guns up here...

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Time to get proactive.
Get your local dealer to order one for you.
If you have a couple of buddies interested in Rossi 92/454s then negotiate for a volume discount.
I used to live in Ketchikan & Hyder, Alaska back in the 70s and that .45 LC cartridge wouldn't be too confidence inspiring when a 800 pound Grizzly came charging out of the bush at full tilt.
I'd want stiffly loaded .454 rounds pushing 300 grain Hornady XTPs at the very least in that situation.
Even better would be my Pedersoli 86/71 .45-70 cranking out those humungous 430 grain cast bullets at 2100+ fps.
I recall one grizz false-charge by a bear I surprised at a salmon creek and that sickly feeling I had in my stomach as I walked back to camp to change my underwear. ;)
True story.
I can laugh now but it took 2 days for my knees to stop shaking after that incident.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA