Ghost ring sights

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
chriskm1968

Ghost ring sights

Post by chriskm1968 »

Any of you guys have these on your 92's and if so, do you like them? Thanks.
Ridgerunner665
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Ghost ring sights

Post by Ridgerunner665 »

I have a set of Skinner peeps on my 1895...the rear peep insert can be removed which leaves a ghost ring of sorts...very handy for quick shots up close.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX!
Proud parent of a US Marine....1833 AAV crewman
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

I have them on a few rifles and a couple of shotguns. I like them.

When I shot Highpower I had adjustable iris apertures. I still use a Merit iris when testing ammo with hunting type peep sights. The way I'd set them was to sight through it on the fully closed/smallest opening and gradually open it. At some point, the front sight and target suddenly snapped into sharp focus. That would be my setting that day (until the light changed).
At this opening size, the front sight and target were in focus. Slightly larger, and I lost that. So whether the aperture was only a little larger or a lot larger I shot about the same. Therefore, if I can't get the exact opening for that (which is way to small for field use) I might as well go with a big and fast aperture. It is faster than a "standard" fixed aperture, and I give up no accuracy that I can tell.
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

I didn't jump with a response until Barry broke the ice for me. His take is like mine. I particularly like the Merit adjustable iris.
I hesitated because of late so many tyrones have corupted the term "Ghost Ring".
When it was coined by El Jefe, Col Jeff Cooper for the newbies, it seemed to be inviolate in it's obvious foundation.
Sometime in the recent few years some one has marketed a middle sight with a hole and some one identified it as a ghost ring!!
Imagine!! A ghost ring that wouldn't disappear, COULDENT disappear when used.
I keep seeing this abomination in print ad nausium. It's a wart that won't go away. It seems that no matter how many times it's explained to
the crowd there's always a spoiler to cary the germ.

Anyway, I love the receiver mounted or tang mounted Ghost Ring sight. With "Old Man's eyes", a proper scope always provides the best performance.
However when a rifle is carried more than it's fired, weight and balance become paramount. The Ghost Ring provides the edge needed for
good field performance.
Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

Added a Williams FP to my 92 this weekend. Of the rifles I have mounted a receiver sight on, it seems to fit best on this 16" .357.

I have only put a few rounds through it so far but it is quick and natural. I have an assortment of aperatures to choose from to sight it in and will then remove the aperature and sight through the big hole for everyday use.

I didn't spend a bunch on my FP - got a brand new one for under $17 shipped from ebay. It was for a Remington 740/760 but I flattened the back of the base and relieved the underside of the beam and it fits just right. I may shim the base out .050" ot .060" after I see how my windagee adjustment looks at 50 yards. Having cheated on the sight, the base is thinner than the right one would have been - or the beam is longer, I don't know which. No one would notice if I didn't mention it.

D/T went fine - nothing unusual about the steel in the receiver and having a flat surface made things easy to set up.

This is my second Williams and I now know that I do prefer the Lyman, but I was being as thrifty as possible and the Williams was priced right.
chriskm1968

Post by chriskm1968 »

Thanks for all the input guys! I ordered the marbles low semi buckhorn today from steve. I really like it on my Henry goldenboy so it should do well for me on this one! Thanks again.