Looked at a Puma 44mag today

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Looked at a Puma 44mag today

Post by Arktikos »

Really don't know anything about these guns. How does one tell if it is a Rossi made one? It was nice had a long octagon barrel, at least 24" I'd say. The condition was listed as like NIB for $700. If it had been a. 357 I might have been in trouble with my better half! Seemed well made and the action worked very smoothly.

Sent from my Alaska Communications Android using Tapatalk
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Looked at a Puma 44mag today

Post by akuser47 »

For 700 that is crazy that is winchester price used the muriku ones or what ever city over there. A new in the box Rossi oct barrel 24" inch in 44 mag or .357 mag. or .45 long colt I have seen all new here for at most $580.00 That is why they arehard to find cause for the money hard to beat. You need to only look on the rifle it will say ROSSI or winchester or marlin on it look for barrel proof marks to try and verfy it's value in case this is a good deal on an original winchester or marlin.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

akuser47 wrote:For 700 that is crazy that is winchester price used the muriku ones or what ever city over there. A new in the box Rossi oct barrel 24" inch in 44 mag or .357 mag. or .45 long colt I have seen all new here for at most $580.00 That is why they arehard to find cause for the money hard to beat. You need to only look on the rifle it will say ROSSI or winchester or marlin on it look for barrel proof marks to try and verfy it's value in case this is a good deal on an original winchester or marlin.
Well this gun store here isn't lighted very well but I did see Puma on it. I was just wondering how to tell if it was a Rossi made one or a Chiappa manufactured one.. I'm not really wanting a 44mag, just trying to educate myself on all the different 92 variations out there and get a sense of what the used prices are running. Someday I want a 357 lever action and I have about given up on Marlin.

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:
akuser47 wrote:For 700 that is crazy that is winchester price used the muriku ones or what ever city over there. A new in the box Rossi oct barrel 24" inch in 44 mag or .357 mag. or .45 long colt I have seen all new here for at most $580.00 That is why they arehard to find cause for the money hard to beat. You need to only look on the rifle it will say ROSSI or winchester or marlin on it look for barrel proof marks to try and verfy it's value in case this is a good deal on an original winchester or marlin.
Well this gun store here isn't lighted very well but I did see Puma on it. I was just wondering how to tell if it was a Rossi made one or a Chiappa manufactured one.. I'm not really wanting a 44mag, just trying to educate myself on all the different 92 variations out there and get a sense of what the used prices are running. Someday I want a 357 lever action and I have about given up on Marlin.

All new LSI Pumas are made by the Italian company Chiappa and have NO safety devices other than the 1/2 cock hammer.
The Rossi 92s are half the price of the Chiappa 92s and Rossi decided to hurt their own sales volume by putting a small butterfly safety switch right on top of the bolt.
If there is a little safety switch on top of the bolt it's likely one of the newer Braztech Rossis.
The Miroku Winchester would have a toggle safety switch on the upper tang and be even more expensive than the Chiappa Pumas.
The only way to tell for sure is go in and look at it.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

That Chiapp/LSI comment rings a bell with me now, as I remember a conversation with the people I bought my .357 from about a year ago - for $420 + $20 to ship and + $20 to transfer.

This fella's opinion was to the affect that Rossi was cranking out as many 92s as possible to start a price war over the Italian Pumas. Not like there was much competition to begin with, price-wise, from what I could tell.

As far as the safety - it does not affect the functionality of the gun, like many added safeties do, so I would not personally let it be a deal-breaker if I needed what a 92 design does. I know it bugs some people enough to make them seek out an older Rossi, but those folks need not trip over themselves getting to the gun shop before I do, because if there's a Rossi WITH the safety on the rack for a few bucks less and/or in batter shape, I'll leave the non-safety for those to whom it holds extra value. Now, if the non-safety model costs the same or less and is in as good or better shape, you better hustle your butt because I am grabbing the better value (in my terms) unless you specifically catch me and show me those sad puppy dog eyes. I would do the right thing and see that you got the non-safety model.

My safety doesn't even work anyway. You cannot apply the safety. From the factory, the retaining pin was bent against the safety and you can't turn it. The firing pin retaining pin was hammered in and peened on both ends as well. It was beaten together to get it out the door and suffered many, many problems. Back to another's comment in another post - if you have such a luxury as to handle one (better yet, several) that is the way to buy one. I had no choice but to order online and I got a real turd of a rifle - which eventually, with much effort and knew knowledge, became a very nice little carbine.

I have just under $500 in mine but when I started shopping, I was still remembering <$300 prices. :oops:
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I had to use online forum E&E and was able to find mine through a face to face deal so I got lucky. I traded ammo and got mine. I would place wanted to buy adds and list you prefer Face to Face or willing to ship to FFL(clerify if your FFL will recieve from individial or if must be shipped from FFL this can cost more). You may end up finding someone who is hard up and needing the money or just selling some rifles. Never hurts to list WTB adds you may find a deal out there. I had WTB adds on 5 different gun forums for mine. Good luck and the puma's are nice rifles I still would not pay 700.00 for it used or new. It is all in the eye of the beholder.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Jeff H wrote: Back to another's comment in another post - if you have such a luxury as to handle one (better yet, several) that is the way to buy one. I had no choice but to order online and I got a real turd of a rifle - which eventually, with much effort and knew knowledge, became a very nice little carbine.

I have just under $500 in mine but when I started shopping, I was still remembering <$300 prices. :oops:
That commenter was probably me.
The shop possibly couldn't sell the gun off the rack because of the outstanding defects so they dumped it on a "sight unseen" online buyer.........unfortunately not an unheard of practice.
I'll buy a Savage, Ruger, Pedersoli & a few other "blue chip" brands of gun (Marlin USED to be in this group :cry: ) online but definitely not a Rossi.
My prospective Rossi purchases get seen, handled, compared & comprehensively tested by these eyes & hands before they come home with me.
What's present in the blue chip brands and lacking in the Rossi production line sequence is QC or Quality Control.
It's pot luck what is going to come out of that box from the Rossi factory.......a quality gun or a Monday morning/Friday afternoon lemon and possibly anything in between.
Rossi keeps us guessing.........never a dull moment.........that's one of the reasons we all love'em so much. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:
Arktikos wrote:

All new LSI Pumas are made by the Italian company Chiappa and have NO safety devices other than the 1/2 cock hammer.
The Rossi 92s are half the price of the Chiappa 92s and Rossi decided to hurt their own sales volume by putting a small butterfly safety switch right on top of the bolt.
If there is a little safety switch on top of the bolt it's likely one of the newer Braztech Rossis.
The Miroku Winchester would have a toggle safety switch on the upper tang and be even more expensive than the Chiappa Pumas.
The only way to tell for sure is go in and look at it.
To be clear, this gun said Puma 44mag on the barrel. I did not see any bolt mounted safety device on it. I'm sure it was not a
winchester either. I think it must be either an earlier Rossi made (pre Taurus, Braztec) Puma or a newer used Chiappa made Puma , so my question is how to tell the difference..

Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I found this on the Chiappa site which tells how to tell the manufacturer of Puma 92's
How can I tell if my Puma '92 is mfg by Chiappa or Rossi?

Starting January 1, 2009, the Puma model 92s & Bounty Hunter Model 92 Pistols were manufactured by Chiappa Firearms.

All of these rifles, carbines & pistols will be marked manufactured by Chiappa Firearms for "LSI" They will all have a prefix of "T" for their serial numbers.

If your Puma '92 does not have these features, it is probably a model manufactured by Rossi prior to January 1, 2009.

Please note that there was inventory of Rossi manufactured products sold by Legacy Sports after that date. This is very important information for service and warranty repair.

The Chiappa Firearms provides NO warranty repair or service on products manufactured by Rossi.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:I found this on the Chiappa site which tells how to tell the manufacturer of Puma 92's
Thanks, later this evening I'm going to pull that text and make it a sticky.
Michael