Rossi Puma 92 iron sights.....SKINNER PEEP SIGHT (rear)

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Rossi Puma 92 iron sights.....SKINNER PEEP SIGHT (rear)

Post by pricedo »

Just ordered a couple of SKINNER PEEP SIGHTS (rear) with the Rossi .390" dovetail size in brass to try in my 3 92s.
Has anyone else tried these?
By the internet description & Skinners reputation I expect that these peep sights will be pretty good especially for those of us with "old eyes" syndrome.
The sight replaces the rear/back dovetail mounted factory sight in the older Puma 92s.
Skinners website has a secure credit card vending page powered by "PayPal" but it is not that conspicuous when you first sign on and you might have to do a little "digging" for it.
I don't mind the factory semi-buckhorn sights on my guns but decided to give the Skinner sight a try.
I got the brass rear sight because it would go with the big brass bead front sight on my Puma 92/454........$49 per sight.
The actual sighting ring looks a lot like the peep sight "plug" that Steve's Gunz markets as a replacement for the receiver bolt safety which my Puma doesn't have.
Has anyone tried the Skinner peep sight on their 92s?
If so.....opinions please.

NOTE: I'm not sure but I hear that Braztech MIGHT have gone to the "American" dovetail slot in their R92 models which is .015" smaller than the old Rossi Puma dovetail. Perhaps someone could clarify this.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi Puma 92 iron sights.....SKINNER PEEP SIGHT (rear)

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:NOTE: I'm not sure but I hear that Braztech MIGHT have gone to the "American" dovetail slot in their R92 models which is .015" smaller than the old Rossi Puma dovetail. Perhaps someone could clarify this.

Interesting. I have my BrazTech 45 Colt all pulled apart including the scope mount off and will measure the slot of the rear dovetail cut on my 2011 92. Kind of odd that they put the front blade on the -002 configuration, I will knock it out and measure that slot as well. I am very interested in hearing a report on the peep, might try one out, but I was not keen on the SG Peep Sight Plug.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:NOTE: I'm not sure but I hear that Braztech MIGHT have gone to the "American" dovetail slot in their R92 models which is .015" smaller than the old Rossi Puma dovetail. Perhaps someone could clarify this.

Interesting. I have my BrazTech 45 Colt all pulled apart including the scope mount off and will measure the slot of the rear dovetail cut on my 2011 92. Kind of odd that they put the front blade on the -002 configuration, I will knock it out and measure that slot as well. I am very interested in hearing a report on the peep, might try one out, but I was not keen on the SG Peep Sight Plug.
I thought the overall look of the SG Peep Sight Plug with the S & F impressions still quite conspicuous in the bolt metal was kind of amateurish looking.
The dovetail plug was equally amateurish looking.
The subject guns looked like whoever did the work got distracted and forgot to do the rest of the job. :mrgreen:
Saw a Braztech 92 that a pro Tig or Mig (whatever?) welder friend of a friend had patched up and you'd never tell there was a bolt safety there at all.......no hole & no impressions after the grinding & polishing & re-bluing had been done.
The welder who also was an accomplished gunsmith cautioned that you have to be very careful grinding or welding on "pressure bearing"(anywhere near or on the barrel, receiver, bolt, etc.) gun parts so as the heat generated would not destroy the temper & strength of the metal.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I measured my Braztech 92 and the front and sight dovetails are exactly the same as those on both of my Rio Grandes. Front is .380" and rear is .387". I have the sights off both RG so they were handy and slid right into the dovetails of the R92.
Michael
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

G/Day Folks, first post here.

I fitted a Skinner Peep and Front Blade to my Rossi 24" Oct Barrel .357 4 years or so ago, a great step up over the Factory Sights. I shot it for a year or so and proved the Rifle was capable of Shooting better than I can. I only took the rear Peep off because I was curious about Tang Sights. I fitted a Lyman as at that time I was not aware of the Rossi Tang Sight. I would like to buy one of the Rossi Tang's but I am not sure Rossi will ship to Australia. I must email them and find out. I did not notice any difference in accuracy between the Barrel Mounted Peep over the Tang Sight at moderate Ranges. After 75 yards or so the longer sight radius comes into play.

If you want a set and forget sight the Skinner is perfect. For 90% of the shooting I do the Skinner is perfect. The Tang allowed a little more versatility and easier adjustment in the field as the Skinner has a lock screw.

The Steve's Guns Peep was developed in conjunction with Skinner Sight's , hence the similarity. I think Skinner plays a role in their Productioin. A mate of mine bought the little 16" Carbine in .357, he fitted the Steve's Guns Sight to his Rifle, needed a little amature Gunsmithing but it no works perfectly, suits his needs perfectly.

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:

Thanks for the prompt report back.
Looks like nothing has changed.
Apparently the Rossi dovetails are still slightly (.015") bigger than the American standard.
The above mentioned .390" was the measurement quoted for the Rossi dovetails by the Skinner website.......not my measurement.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

In the past 10 or 12 yrs 6 Rossi M92's have passed thru my hands. Only one was new acquired in '07.
Because I'm a 'Bubber" with aging eyes, the sights have been my ONLY complaint. All of them were cursed with theover sizedd
dovetail. It soon becamapparentnt that measuring each was futile, only confirming that they were all oversize.
The actual measuremevariedied so much that to quote it would be in vain. It was rumored that Brownells had "something" that
would fit but being a cheapskate bubber I never pursued it.
Instead I went to the tang site for my shooting solution because they (ATT) were the least expensive.
The sight is a TAURUS sight. It was a direct copy of the Marbles sight with elevation and windage adjustment capabilities.
The base mounting screw hole placement was for the Taurus .22RF pump rifle. Appropriate screws were provided. I purchased one to experiment
with, was quite satisfied with the fit on my M92's and bought a few more (they were cheap).
I drilled and tapped the needed holes in the tang and found the proper screws at my country hardware store. No, they were not blued!
So what!!
ensuinghe ensueing years I've posted this story and during the comments it seems that the sight has become scarce.
I can not confirm this. Good luck.
Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good afternoon
I sure enjoyed reading Pepe Ray´s solutions. Sounds like the farm neighborhood I grew up in. Simple, direct action to the point. One of the many blessings about living down here is watching talented people find a solution to a need when there are no parts available. It tends to get the brain working again considering posible solutions.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

Thanks for the compliment, Mike.
I'm pleased that you could decypher my story. I always/usually run my posts through a "spell checker" if available. I couldn't find one within
the confines of the reply window so jumped up to the one in my tool bar. You can see the resulting mess.
Have a new PC with Vista. What a horror show! I've had to buy a "Vista For Dummies" book and am still struggling. I've requested that RD try to
find a way to help. ITMT we'll do it the old way.
When are you coming home?
Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Pepe Ray wrote:Thanks for the compliment, Mike.
I'm pleased that you could decypher my story. I always/usually run my posts through a "spell checker" if available. I couldn't find one within
the confines of the reply window so jumped up to the one in my tool bar. You can see the resulting mess.
Have a new PC with Vista. What a horror show! I've had to buy a "Vista For Dummies" book and am still struggling. I've requested that RD try to
find a way to help. ITMT we'll do it the old way.
When are you coming home?
Pepe Ray
Bought a used Vista :evil: notebook last year and promptly formatted the drive and installed XP Pro using the device drivers from the Toshiba website. Vista is one of Microsofts flop operating systems like Millenium was..........everybody including me hated it.......you're not alone in that regard.

Several friends have asked me to get rid of Vista for them & either step back to XP or forward to Windows 7..........most wanted XP because it was familiar territory.

Still waiting for my Skinner sights.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA