Well call me crazy...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Well call me crazy...

Post by Barry in IN »

Pricedo-
You should head over to the Cast Boolits forum to see what cast bullets are really capable of. I don't have a 454 Casull, but shoot plenty of them at Casull velocities with no trouble. I've gone as fast as a little over 2200 fps in .221 Fireball and .223. Unlike what I thought it would take before diving in, I didn't have to experiment with every little detail for months to get that either. As long as the bullet fits the bore, a good lube is used, the alloy isn't ridiculously soft (or hard), most will do just fine.
I use Ranch Dog's 265 grain design in a Ruger 77/44 carbine by casting plain old wheelweights, giving them a quick roll in Lee liquid lube, and seating a gas check. No special alloys or heat treatment or anything. They aren't even sized. I shoot those in the upper 1700 fps range.

The gun show Big Box O' Bullets cast bullets can be a different story. They are usually sized to "standard" diameters, but from what I can tell after slugging them, very few bores are "standard" diameter. Jacketed bullets are a lot more forgiving in that respect. Also, the lubes they use are often way too hard to serve their purpose, which doesn't help. They use it because it holds up and stays on the bullet for shipment across the country in all temps, not because it works well.

It took a long time for me to believe it was the case, but I learned to forget my experience with factory cast bullets.
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

"I will shoot my existing TLC454-290-RF out of this rifle."

Ah, I didn't know there was an RD for the .45 Colt. I should have known.
Looks nice!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Barry in IN wrote:Ah, I didn't know there was an RD for the .45 Colt. I should have known.
Looks nice!
Here are those Big, Bad, Boys!

Here is what they look like in my Taurus 450, an awesome self defense revolver!

Michael
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Wow, that's a cylinder filler!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Looks good what groups are you getting with those bullets?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Barry in IN wrote:Ah, I didn't know there was an RD for the .45 Colt. I should have known.
Looks nice!
Here are those Big, Bad, Boys!

Here is what they look like in my Taurus 450, an awesome self defense revolver!

No wonder the Insurance Underwriters Actuaries Association says that burglary is the most risqué profession in Texas.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:No wonder the Insurance Underwriters Actuaries Association says that burglary is the most risqué profession in Texas.
That my friend, is some funny stuff! :lol:
Michael
Gee_Wizz01

Post by Gee_Wizz01 »

Ranch Dog
Have you worked up any loads with your 454-290RF in the M92? I have an M92 with the 16" BBL and large lever loop, that is begging for a heavier bullet. It shoots great with the Lee 452-250RF, but I want something a little heavier with a GC. Right now I am working with Trail Boss, Red Dot, Unique, 2400 and H110. To date I get the best accuracy with a stiff load of 2400.

Thanks
Gary
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Barry in IN wrote:Pricedo-
You should head over to the Cast Boolits forum to see what cast bullets are really capable of. I don't have a 454 Casull, but shoot plenty of them at Casull velocities with no trouble. I've gone as fast as a little over 2200 fps in .221 Fireball and .223. Unlike what I thought it would take before diving in, I didn't have to experiment with every little detail for months to get that either. As long as the bullet fits the bore, a good lube is used, the alloy isn't ridiculously soft (or hard), most will do just fine.
I use Ranch Dog's 265 grain design in a Ruger 77/44 carbine by casting plain old wheelweights, giving them a quick roll in Lee liquid lube, and seating a gas check. No special alloys or heat treatment or anything. They aren't even sized. I shoot those in the upper 1700 fps range.

The gun show Big Box O' Bullets cast bullets can be a different story. They are usually sized to "standard" diameters, but from what I can tell after slugging them, very few bores are "standard" diameter. Jacketed bullets are a lot more forgiving in that respect. Also, the lubes they use are often way too hard to serve their purpose, which doesn't help. They use it because it holds up and stays on the bullet for shipment across the country in all temps, not because it works well.

It took a long time for me to believe it was the case, but I learned to forget my experience with factory cast bullets.
I was thinking of getting some lead bullet casting equipment. I'm kinda partial to Lee products cause they get the job done without turning my wallet into a lighter-than-air balloon.
Only trouble is I've got more more redundant equipment and devices sitting on shelves that I never got around to using including both a high end longbow and a crossbow that have never sent an arrow or bolt through the air.
It's probably just as easy & less messy to buy the bulk bullets.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

I understand about having unused gear lying around. Actually, come to think of it, that accumulating of extra stuff helped me get started casting. I looked around, realized I had most of what I needed to start casting (things I had accumulated here and there over time) so went ahead and bought the rest to get started on it. That was one time where the piling up of unused stuff turned into something useful.

If you do start casting sometime- allow plenty of time. I knew it would take up some of my time, but didn't know how much until I did it. But then, I'm slow.