Well call me crazy...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well call me crazy...

Post by Ranch Dog »

I bought another "Scout" rifle exactly like the one I have except it is chambered in 45 Colt. I was just saying I have too many rifles so I've promised myself that something was going to go... may be...
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Well call me crazy...

Post by Steelbanger »

Michael,

Looking for that next safe yet? Oh well, you could always sell something and make space for the incoming. Nah. But I'm not going to start calling you Crazy. I just bolted two safes together, making them immovable unless you bring a rigger and that would be a bit conspicuous.

Yesterday at the range one of the older members talked to me and since he is totally deaf it is always a one-way conversation. He rambled on and on about probably 6 or 8 different guns he was looking to buy and I thought - Man, he really has a problem but he's not alone by far.

And we all know how each new rifle calls for a few moulds. By the way, how is the 38-55 project going? Which option got the nod of approval?

And returning to the crazy theme, I just took delivery of a 2 cavity Lee .311 round ball mould to cast my own buckshot. Why I don't know since I never shoot shotgun but buckshot loads seem like they would be fun so I'm off to the races again. Next time the weather cools down I plan to cast some balls. Maybe set up something for home defense. Or stalking wiley woodchucks.

Good luck with the 45 Colt. And to quote the birthday song, Many more of them too!
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I really want to get one in .45LC and a matchin set of revolvers the same .45LC maybe someday.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

I've never had .45 Colt rifle. I always thought a short .45 Colt like that would be nifty, but never did anything about it. I've had a 4" S&W 25-5 since 1985, and have had a couple of SAA types in .45 Colt, but no rifles.
So can we look forward to a .45 cal RD handgun mould?

Oh wait, I did have a Win 94 Trails End .45 Colt for a couple of days. That hardly counts.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Barry in IN wrote:I've never had .45 Colt rifle. I always thought a short .45 Colt like that would be nifty, but never did anything about it. I've had a 4" S&W 25-5 since 1985, and have had a couple of SAA types in .45 Colt, but no rifles.
So can we look forward to a .45 cal RD handgun mould?

Oh wait, I did have a Win 94 Trails End .45 Colt for a couple of days. That hardly counts.

I Googled "Win 94 Trails End" and found a Winchester Repeating Arms archive site that described this American made Winchester gun which was available in a lot of calibers including .38-55, 25-35, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .45 LC, .30-30........a real sharp looking rifle that MSRP'd at about $750.

Try finding a gun in .25-35 today.

It had a 20" barrel.

I might be interested if I could get one at that price today.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:Looking for that next safe yet? Oh well, you could always sell something and make space for the incoming. Nah. But I'm not going to start calling you Crazy. I just bolted two safes together, making them immovable unless you bring a rigger and that would be a bit conspicuous.

Yesterday at the range one of the older members talked to me and since he is totally deaf it is always a one-way conversation. He rambled on and on about probably 6 or 8 different guns he was looking to buy and I thought - Man, he really has a problem but he's not alone by far.
I hear you, I do need more safes but instead, I just lock the room up tight. Glad I'm not alone in this though!
Steelbanger wrote:And we all know how each new rifle calls for a few moulds. By the way, how is the 38-55 project going? Which option got the nod of approval?
I will shoot my existing TLC454-290-RF out of this rifle. Of course, it will be pushed quite a bit beyond the low SAAMI limit for the cartridge.

The 38-55 bullet will be the coming soon, it will be the C379-250-RF. I have not ordered the trial molds yet but that is just around the corner. Here is the bullet cambered in your rifle.

Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I bought another "Scout" rifle exactly like the one I have except it is chambered in 45 Colt. I was just saying I have too many rifles so I've promised myself that something was going to go... may be...
Passed up a 20" barrel Rossi Puma in .45 LC last fall that was still kicking around "in the back room" of a local gun store.

My Rossi Puma .454 Casull will shoot .45 LC all day long and with the souped up hardened 92 action of the .454 which is capable of handling ammo in the 55K+ psi range I don't have to worry about "red zoning" (within reason) my .45 LC loads.

The Puma 92/454 is dimensionally identical to & weighs the same as its .45 LC only counterpart so I didn't see any need for duplication of functionality here & something else in the gun safes to dust around every week.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:The Puma 92/454 is dimensionally identical to & weighs the same as its .45 LC only counterpart so I didn't see any need for duplication of functionality here & something else in the gun safes to dust around every week.
I was kinda of looking for a Casull but decided to just stick with the 45LC. I have about 5000 cases and all the tools and don't think I will add another cartridge over what I already have. I also would not take advantage of the pressure capabilities of the cartridge as well in that I'm not going to buy bullets for anything. My gas checked, water quenched, Lyman #2 alloy kind of tops out at 42K PSI.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:The Puma 92/454 is dimensionally identical to & weighs the same as its .45 LC only counterpart so I didn't see any need for duplication of functionality here & something else in the gun safes to dust around every week.
I was kinda of looking for a Casull but decided to just stick with the 45LC. I have about 5000 cases and all the tools and don't think I will add another cartridge over what I already have. I also would not take advantage of the pressure capabilities of the cartridge as well in that I'm not going to buy bullets for anything. My gas checked, water quenched, Lyman #2 alloy kind of tops out at 42K PSI.
You don't know what you're missing.......there's something satisfying about shooting a gun where both the shooter & the bullet develop a trajectory after you pull the trigger. :D
When a full power .454 load goes off you get that sharp thunk in the shoulder and for a while you're not quite sure which end of the gun the bullet came out of.
With full power .454 loads that recoil pad is just wishful thinking.
In a nutshell.............IT KICKS LIKE A MULE !
I shoot mostly +P .45 LC hand loads in my Rossi Puma .454 but in areas where you might encounter predatory bears it's always nice to have the .454 Casull option available.
My Rossi Puma is one of the Amadeo Rossi SA 92s without the safety & it's definitely on the "no sell" list.
The Lee dies I have for the Casull will handle .45 LC also so there is no extra equipment to buy & I have boxes upon boxes of once fired .454 Casull brass on hand.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
The 240 & 300 grain Hornady XTPs aren't that expensive & cycle really well in the Puma and I can buy cheap bulk lead bullets for the .45 LC.
Not much point in loading lead in the Casull rounds because it would be in liquid form before it got 1/4 way up the barrel.......gas check or no gas check.
You won't want to do much casual plinking with a .454 Casull.........after a palette of 50 I find it's time to ramp down to something a bit more humane. :D
Lead bullets are great & cheap but they have their limitations & if you want to do max loads for kick butt calibers like the Casull it's time to go to jacketed projectiles.
I'm working on a load for the Casull using the 250 grain Hornady FTX bullet they make for the Bushmaster rifles..........going to have to get creative with case lengths & powder matching to jury rig an effective load with that combo.
I think the Lee crimping die will help with bullet retention as the 250 grain FTX bullet DOESN'T have a crimping cannelure.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA