SPARE PARTS LIST?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

SPARE PARTS LIST?

Post by Jeff H »

I have been to every 92 site I could find over the course of the past year and a half and have not seen anything like a recommended "spare parts list" anywhere.

Inspired by a thread on Rossi Customer Service, pertaining to parts, I wonder if we shouldn't put our heads together and come up with a list? It might even be good for some enterprising Rossi supporting vendor to use as a guide to put together a spare parts lackage that they could sell.

I have spent decades tuning my accumulation of firearms and accessories to accommodate "hard times." I have been careful in the selection of bore diameters, primer size, parent brass and powder selection and have recently made a career change wherein this has paid off. I have a very small collection of firearms and am sort of "living a dream" wherein I have little more than I really need and am able to support the habit to the extent that I can actually do some little recreational shooting and handloading. Having a spare parts kit for what guns I still own would have been a wise choice I would make if I were to start this venture again, but I have stuff for my other guns - nothing extra for the Rossi in the event it breaks. I would have to find and buy the parts.

Any ideas on what oine should set aside for an "emergency?"

I would be inclined to think that a spare spring of each type, but I have replaced at least my ejector spring with one from a drawer of springs easily acquired through other sources than a gun-related source. The trigger spring is special and would warrant keeping a spare - maybe.

a spare screw of at least each very small, easily lost or damaged type and a firing pin and firing pin retaining pin at a minimum? An ejector - which would be complicated to make?

Firing pin
Firing pin retaining pin (could be made if necessary)
Trigger return spring
Ejector
Cartridge stop
Cartridge stop spring/pin
Still not a bad idea to buy TWO of any spring we replace with a non-gun spring. It's cheap enough and would be handy not to have to find the right one all over again.

Which screws?

ANY input on anything I have listed either for or rationalizing against is welcome. Some of us can make pins (I have a collection of short twist drills which have served as donors) front sights and things like that. Some of us could probably make a new barrel if push cam to shove, but what makes sense for general repairs considering the most likely mishaps?

Surely, a complete "spare Rossi 92" would be the ultimate, but what could we stash in a pill bottle or other small container to get us running if something should happen to our rifle?

Incidentally, I think the Rossi 92 is pretty close to being ONE of the best "hard times" guns to own. Yeah, it's a little complex and delicate inside, but it has some versatility over my beloved Mausers and many of the other battle-proven small bore turn-bolts. It's not perfect for many things but it really covers a lot of ground with the capabilty to handload. As much as I dislike handling (and having to buy) small pisol primers, I can't get away from the .357 Rossi because it makes so much sense in so many ways. I just have not completed one of the most sennsible parts of the system - a spare parts stash.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SPARE PARTS LIST?

Post by Ranch Dog »

This is a very good idea and would like to hear which parts would make a good collection to keep on hand. Image

I have done this for my Rio Grande but have not received the parts yet. It is important to note that in order to order them, you must have a serial number that "fits" so some of the rebanded or older rifles do not fit. It is easy enough to find a picture of a serial number on gunbroker listing that will fill the bill. Test it on the Rossi-USA web site before you order. It is also important to note that the part label numbers in the owners manual do not match the actual part number. The phone call would be much quicker with the actually numbers but there would be a chance of making a mistake as each number is about 12 to 16 digits long I believe.
Michael
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: SPARE PARTS LIST?

Post by Jeff H »

I was messing with my 92 today and remembered one other item that would be handy - an extractor.