Triple Black Sight Rail

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
351WSL

Triple Black Sight Rail

Post by 351WSL »

Hello All. I'm new on this forum from Alabama. I had been wanting a Taylor's Alaskan in .45 Colt for a while, but decided to convert a 92 to a similar configuration. I do like tinkering on firearms. It makes me appreciate them more :). I have ordered my 92 Trapper in stainless, and several other items. I plan to give it a matte finish on the stainless, paint the wood with some textured black with the spider web, and add some black items from the triple black model and also a little cerakote.

Currently on the Rossi Shop website, the Triple black sight rail is only available without the peep sight (one with peep sight is out of stock). I went ahead and ordered one without(was afraid they might also become unavailable). I would like to add a fiber dotted (one dot on each side) peep or ghost ring to fit the dovetail ramp on the rail.

Does anyone know of the actual dimensions of the dovetail ramp on the rear of the rail so that I may find a sight to fit it? I may have to find what's available when the rail arrives by measuring and contacting a few sight companies. I did call Rossi, but they had no dimensions of the slide on the rear of the rail, nor do they sell the factory sight alone.

This forum had been a great asset for my learning the in's and out's of the Rossi 92. I am so glad that this resource is available. Hopefully at some point, I can also contribute to the knowledge base that is here.

Thank You in Advance,

Chris in AL.
351WSL

Re: Triple Black Sight Rail

Post by 351WSL »

Hopefully this may help someone that wants an alternative to the Rossi Peep sight on the Triple Black rail, or you may be like me and have purchased the rail, but can't catch the sight in stock. I have tried multiple sizes of sights that I had on hand and none fit the dovetail slide on the rail. They were all too large and wouldn't tighten enough for a tight hold.

Yesterday I was shooting my Ruger PC and noticed the rear sight on it. I have always had a red dot on it, so really not paid much attention the the rear sight. When I got home, I took some measurements with calipers, and this Ruger sight should fit perfectly. This does offer another option.

Best Wishes,
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Unit59

Post by Unit59 »

Rossi has these back in stock if anyone is interested in ordering one, peep sight included with this model.
Unit59

Post by Unit59 »

I went ahead and ordered one of these Rossi 92 rails with the peep, I received it yesterday and it is a very nice looking sight. I installed it on my stainless 92 and it looks like it belongs there for sure. Liked it so much I ordered another, for my blued 92. Rossi takes about a week from order to delivery and ships postal service which in my area is very slow at best.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I dunno, I still like having the aperture a lot closer to my eyeball. Ghost rings don’t provide that pinhole camera affect that brings the front sight into focus.
zdrstvy

Post by zdrstvy »

Have you fired the rifle with the new rail/peep sight yet? My R92 was 16" high at 50yds with their rail/peep sight. I replaced the original buckhorn sight, and it was back on target. Same ammo with both configurations.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

zdrstny... are you using the "factory" front sight? If so, it sounds like you'll need a taller front.
zdrstvy

Post by zdrstvy »

Yes sir. A taller front sight seems appropriate - minor change in height over bore. However, the kind folks at Rossi insist that it should not be necessary. Before I begin purchasing replacements, I want to determine the appropriate height (rather than rely on trial and error).
sw44

Post by sw44 »

I recently bought the R92 Davidson's Exclusive in 357. The model has the Rossi rail with peep sight for the rear sight and a fiber optic front sight. With 158 grain JHP ammo, I had to lower the rear sight as far as it would go to get the group on paper at 50 yards. The front sight height measured 0.550" from the bottom base of the dove tail to the top of the sight. I found a Williams gold bead front sight with a height of 0.570" that I am going to try and see if I can get some adjustability to the rear sight. When installing the Williams sight, I had to "dimple" the underside of the dove tail using a center punch to get a tight fit. I have not tried it out yet.
zdrstvy

Post by zdrstvy »

SW44 - when convenient, plz provide update regarding results with taller front sight #tightgroups