New to this forum/the 92 44 magnum and case ejection

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
CTparker1953

New to this forum/the 92 44 magnum and case ejection

Post by CTparker1953 »

So, I bought my 92 in 44 magnum with the 16" barrel about 13 years ago and really had fired it sparingly until recently when our County allowed the use of rifles instead of slugs only. Being a lever gun lover I also have a Henry H009 30 30 and 2 Marlin 336s in 30 30. Truth be told, the Rossi 92 far outperforms those other rifles in accuracy at the 50 yard mark where I do my shooting (with a Marbles tang sight). I find the trigger is much better than on those other rifles and having taken up reloading recently, my reloads are outstanding.
The one problem I have encountered from day one is that it didn't consistently eject the spent cases. Since taking up reloading, I have found that it looks to be certain case brands that are not functioning well , in particular Winchester brand cases. I have reloaded Federal cases and brand new Starline cases and they function perfectly! A friend gave me some Remington brass that I'm going to try next. I was just wondering if anyone out there has had similar experiences???
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: New to this forum/the 92 44 magnum and case ejection

Post by mr surveyor »

My 2013 R92 44mag had ejector issues from the start, whether factory loads (only shot 30-40 before going strictly to my own reloads) or re-loads - regardless of the type brass. After disassembling the gun and giving it a thorough "amateurish" evaluation it was apparent that the ejector was unfinished, with burrs and also obviously too long. The tips were completely squared and had sharp burrs that really damaged the brass. It was obviously stressing the bolt and frame just fully closing the lever. It took 3-4 tear down/reassemblies to carefully deburr, slightly shorten and reshape the tips of the ejector to get proper ejection and not tear up the case heads. That's been a little more than 8 years and several thousand rounds ago and still running smooth.

I wish I had more to offer

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

the extractor and the ejector are two completely different pieces.

the extractor is the little hooked bar [that frequently needs the underside cleaned up and squared up] that slides over the rim of the case as it's going into the chamber

the ejector is that little piece on the bottom half of the bolt face that shoot forward and launches the cases up onto the brim of your hat.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

runfiverun wrote:the extractor and the ejector are two completely different pieces.

the extractor is the little hooked bar [that frequently needs the underside cleaned up and squared up] that slides over the rim of the case as it's going into the chamber

the ejector is that little piece on the bottom half of the bolt face that shoot forward and launches the cases up onto the brim of your hat.

Just asking ..... where was the extractor mentioned?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

it would have been right where I said the extractor and ejector are two different pieces.

the OP didn't give any particulars except Winchester brass.
not what, when, where, or how.

just pointed at the top of the gun and said the brass don't work.
well ejection isn't case specific, and it does rely on the extractor to work properly.

the issue could simply be a rim thickness thing.
or an extractor that isn't shaped properly.

I can't see what's happening from here, but I may be able to point him in the right direction to fix the issue.