Out of spec frame

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Out of spec frame

Post by golfish »

I've been following a thread in another forum. This gentleman called Rossi about a broken ejector on his 3+- year old R92. They haven't looked at the gun at all. Just going by serial numbers. This is the first that I have read about "out of spec frames"

Here's some short reads.

"So I called Rossi and they said that part was "restricted" and they could not send it to me, but I could send the gun to them for fixing at only $90 for shipping and repairs. Ok sounded good, but after a few weeks they tell me the gun is unfixable because "the frame is out is specs". I asked them what that meant, and she said they cannot explain. It could be many things. What? I asked to talk to a tech support guy and she said they would not be able, or even allowed to answer that either. It sounded like this was some sort of top secret thing that nobody can discuss. They gave me the option of buying a new gun at a discount or sending mine back. I have not decided yet. But my question is -- does anybody know what they are talking about when they say "the frame is out is specs"? I don't want to pay a gunsmith to repair it if it has major structural issues. Anybody know about this"

"Yes it was a broken extractor, but they decided, totally unrelated to that, that the "frame was out of specs" and unrepairable. Who knows, maybe it was an excuse not to fix it, or maybe they are right. I am in Rancho Cordova and the gun was purchased in 2013 at a little gun store called "Action Guns" which is now out of business."

"I just called Rossi again and talked to someone who said she was in tech support. She just repeated what I was told before, that their gunsmith said it was unrepairable since the "frame was out of specs" and in their view that makes it unsafe. I told them to send it back to me"
GasGuzzler

Re: Out of spec frame

Post by GasGuzzler »

A 2013 gun is in the middle of the worst era for Rossi riffles.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Ejectors are available from other sources. Steve's has 'em (if not sold out), and other sources do as well. Do a search on "1892 parts" and there are folks offering them as new reproductions of Winchester parts, that need fitting, and are capable of being fit to Rossi.

On the other hand... a good smithy can fix the busted ejector, if the shaft snapped. If I still had my shop, I'd probably EDM out a pocket for a new shaft, fit a new one with a cross pin to hold it in place, but that's just me.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

golfish wrote:I've been following a thread in another forum. This gentleman called Rossi about a broken ejector on his 3+- year old R92. They haven't looked at the gun at all. Just going by serial numbers. This is the first that I have read about "out of spec frames"

Here's some short reads.

"So I called Rossi and they said that part was "restricted" and they could not send it to me, but I could send the gun to them for fixing at only $90 for shipping and repairs. Ok sounded good, but after a few weeks they tell me the gun is unfixable because "the frame is out is specs". I asked them what that meant, and she said they cannot explain. It could be many things. What? I asked to talk to a tech support guy and she said they would not be able, or even allowed to answer that either. It sounded like this was some sort of top secret thing that nobody can discuss. They gave me the option of buying a new gun at a discount or sending mine back. I have not decided yet. But my question is -- does anybody know what they are talking about when they say "the frame is out is specs"? I don't want to pay a gunsmith to repair it if it has major structural issues. Anybody know about this"

"Yes it was a broken extractor, but they decided, totally unrelated to that, that the "frame was out of specs" and unrepairable. Who knows, maybe it was an excuse not to fix it, or maybe they are right. I am in Rancho Cordova and the gun was purchased in 2013 at a little gun store called "Action Guns" which is now out of business."

"I just called Rossi again and talked to someone who said she was in tech support. She just repeated what I was told before, that their gunsmith said it was unrepairable since the "frame was out of specs" and in their view that makes it unsafe. I told them to send it back to me"
If you search 'Taurus Warranty Repair' you're going to find a bunch of similar, sad tales from owners of their various pistols and revolvers; followed by solemn oaths to never ever buy one of their products again. Their MO is to offer a replacement and give excuses or flat ignore you when it takes forever to leave the factory.

As I have mentioned here before, I'm in the window-shopping stage for a 44 mag lever action. I may well gamble on a Rossi, but a gamble is what it is. With three of them under my belt, I've graduated the Rossi University of Hard Knocks repair course. I'll fix it or scrap it, but I ain't ever going through the BS of sending them a gun back.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Reese-Mo wrote:Ejectors are available from other sources. Steve's has 'em (if not sold out), and other sources do as well. Do a search on "1892 parts" and there are folks offering them as new reproductions of Winchester parts, that need fitting, and are capable of being fit to Rossi.

On the other hand... a good smithy can fix the busted ejector, if the shaft snapped. If I still had my shop, I'd probably EDM out a pocket for a new shaft, fit a new one with a cross pin to hold it in place, but that's just me.
I don't recall what the warranty is on a new Rossi R92. The gun in question has a broken ejector, Rossi doesn't want to fix it because the gun has a "out of spec frame" so they offer a 35% discount on another gun.

I really don't have the words to write how I feel other then I think that I'll sell the rest a of my R92s
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

It’s a good time to sell, for sure.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

golfish wrote:I don't recall what the warranty is on a new Rossi R92. The gun in question has a broken ejector, Rossi doesn't want to fix it because the gun has a "out of spec frame" so they offer a 35% discount on another gun.

I really don't have the words to write how I feel other then I think that I'll sell the rest a of my R92s
I know how you feel. Rossi has always been iffy and the hope is that they come around to a customer service-based business, but I'm convinced that is not ever going to happen.
Michael
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

I've got two Rossi 92(s) imported by LSI Reno, NV (whenever that happened). One is a 45 Colt, the other a 357 mag. Both were good to go. All I had to do to them was disassemble them, really clean and deburr them, and shoot them a lot. Not a hiccup between the two. I have another, imported by Braztech, and it's a whole 'nother story. I essentially "toy" with it as a range only shooter. I've just about figured out its eccentricities (cartridge guides, cartridge OAL, even "adjusted" the left guide to allow the cartridge lifter to go up to the appropriate angle for feeding.) I essentially view the rifle as a "parts gun" waiting to happen.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

...parts gun in waiting....

Interesting concept!
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Gunny268 wrote:I've got two Rossi 92(s) imported by LSI Reno, NV (whenever that happened). One is a 45 Colt, the other a 357 mag. Both were good to go. All I had to do to them was disassemble them, really clean and deburr them, and shoot them a lot. Not a hiccup between the two. I have another, imported by Braztech, and it's a whole 'nother story. I essentially "toy" with it as a range only shooter. I've just about figured out its eccentricities (cartridge guides, cartridge OAL, even "adjusted" the left guide to allow the cartridge lifter to go up to the appropriate angle for feeding.) I essentially view the rifle as a "parts gun" waiting to happen.
Let me guess... the Braztech is a 357?