Help removing safety

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Tommag

Re: Help removing safety

Post by Tommag »

I removed the safety, but promptly lost the detent pin that goes in the side of it, so it's probably not going back in.
When I installed the peep sight, it immediately fell out. Measured the diameter of the sight base and the safety. The safety is .275 at the shoulder,tapering to .272 at the groove for the retainer pin. The sight base is .270 at the shoulder and .264 at the groove.
The pin engages the sight, but if it rocks forward it pops right out.
I've read that you might have to file a groove 180° from the original, but I dont think that would be secure given all the slop that exists now.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Sounds like the sight is quite undersized. That's a royal pain as putting material on it is much harder than getting material buffed off. You could braze a line or two on it and buff it back down but that could be a lot of work or you might contact the source and see if they have one with a larger dia shaft. As you mention the installation instructions mention rotating one 90 or 180 and cutting a new shallower notch but if the shaft is too narrow to start with that isn't going to cut it.

The detent is a ball bearing I think, NOT a pin like in an AR. Losing them is not uncommon but they can be replaced. Someone posted about one getting away from them in the last year or so if I recall correctly and there may have been a diameter listed in that post.

IF you need a detent ball you MIGHT check with member Blind Hawg:
https://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.ph ... ent#p64303

Any time you are dealing with a spring loaded detent it can be a good idea to try and do the disassembly inside a plastic bag or covered with a towel and in an area where tiny parts may be easily found. Sorry we should have specifically warned you on that one.
https://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6296

I recall doing a search at the shop my friend owned behind the armorer's bench and finding a half dozen AR detents, 3 assorted springs an Allen wrench and a couple three tiny screws or set screws. It seems one of the guys was adept at allowing a small part to escape and then not being able to find it.
One of these tends to help:
Milwaukee-2735-20-48-11-1850-detailed-image-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Go to Harbor Freight or Walmart. Buy the cheapest set of feeler gauges you can find. Probably like... $6 or so. They have .0015 and .002 feelers in the set. Cut those with scissors and use as a shim. A .0015 will add .003 to the total diameter, or you can "half shim" the opening (harder to do, but... ya know).

In a perfect world, that sight base (in the bolt) should be a snug fit, but... they gotta fit all bolts so with normal variation, some are loose.

And if push gets to shove, you can JB-Weld the doldarn'd thing in place. Take it out with a bunch o' heat if you need to.
Tommag

Post by Tommag »

Archer. I know about disassembling things in a containment device. Unfortunately, I also know about not using a knife for a prybar and a crescent wrench for a hammer. Knowledge and what I really do seem to be mutually exclusive, LOL. I sent an email to Steve, but not holding my breath for a response.
Reese-Mo, that idea for a quick source of shim stock is a great idea.
Tommag

Post by Tommag »

Well, the shim was a bunch of fun! I started by cutting a strip of .025 the right length to form a circle around the sight base. That was a failure. I measured the inside of the hole with calipers and it came out to .280. So, I cut a strip of .004 figuring .002 wouldn't be too sloppy. That was a hoot trying to get it formed in a circle and inserted.it was a bit tighter, but still not enough to keep the base in. The next step is to file a shallower groove for the retainer pin, I guess.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

The trick is to not make the shim full height, but just a bit shorter. Then you start one end and walk it around the diameter. Might need a steady handed helper.
I've this on SRAM bicycle bottom brackets, which all seem to be loose beyond any sort of precision. Of course they're bigger....
Tommag

Post by Tommag »

Reese-Mo wrote:The trick is to not make the shim full height, but just a bit shorter. Then you start one end and walk it around the diameter. Might need a steady handed helper.
I've this on SRAM bicycle bottom brackets, which all seem to be loose beyond any sort of precision. Of course they're bigger....
I cut my shims .11 wide, to avoid obstructing the groove for the pin.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I had to file a different groove in the cost more than it should have for what I got Steve's sight too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Thats a fact.
Tommag

Post by Tommag »

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good receiver sight? I'm not a fan of a Williams type sight hanging on the side of the receiver. My eyes don't play as well as they used to with open sights.