GasGuzzler Gets a 454

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

GasGuzzler Gets a 454

Post by GasGuzzler »

Pics, review, plans below.

Bought locally with a box of JHP thrown in for the retail price of a new one or half of what they sell for on GunBroker used. See more pics for issues.

So it's marked PUMA and was imported my LSI. The other side has A ROSSI MADE IN BRAZIL. The only stamp on the barrel is 454 CASULL. The serial number is buzzed on the receiver and looks tacky.

It's got one of those knob switcher thingies on it too. That's coming off in favor of a delete peep and blank filler or a custom rear sight in the OEM location with a plug in the safety hole. My 39A, 336RC, R92 .357 all were factory with no safety. Enough about my opinion there.

Seller disclosed scratches on the stock. Yep, they're there. Already ordered the dyes I want to custom mix for the refinish. The one and only "feature" of the newer safety equipped Rossis I wanted was the water based stain ... NOPE, not on this one. Tried isopropyl alcohol, nope...barely phases it. Oh well, getting there is half the enjoyment.

Lookie there...the barrel band screw came right out. Then the screw holding the sling doohickey stripped instead. No idea what kind or size of key head that is designed for but in a pile of Allen keys too large to count and a large Wheeler bit set, I found NOTHING that would fit it snugly. It will have to be left on (ugly) or drilled. Don't wanna do either so staying with the lesser of two evils and leaving it is likely my move.

Is it OEM? If not I guess the rear stud bogged into the wood is aftermarket as well? Need to know before the wood refinish in case I need to fill the hole in the stock. I don't need sling swivels but would leave them if they were OEM.

What do I like about it?
  • It can shoot .45 Colt, what I was looking for for several years.
  • It is uncommon compared to other cartridges so it should hold its value
  • I paid half of current crazy GunBroker rates
  • Action feels pretty smooth for a gun that has been shot very little.
  • Trigger feels nice as is.
Once I get it all apart I will be able to tell if it's been breathed on. Looking forward to checking for mods, looking for OEM grease, doing some clean up and polish work, etc.

What I don't like about it...
  • Metal finish is several levels below that of my older R92. I can almost see the machine tool marks through the thin blueing.
  • The magazine tube is so thin, poorly finish machined, and poorly blued it looks like anodized spun aluminum up close
  • Fiber optic sights. Ugh. At least the rear sight is broken so I have an excuse to swap them both.
  • Plastic follower. Easy fix. Likely no reason to but thought of a lever gun with a plastic part is weird.
  • Poor stamping choices. A ROSSI and IMPORTED BY LSI and MADE IN BRAZIL should be partly on each side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver where they could be less seen.
  • Scratches in the wood. Not an easy fix but worth the outcome to refinish it all.
I will update the thread as I make progress.

EDIT to add: Steve's Gunz wants $35 for a mag follower. Guess mine will stay plastic. WAIT! Just found a brass one on eBay with good reviews for $20.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: GasGuzzler Gets a 454

Post by Mad Trapper »

well, if I could have only one rifle, that would be it.
Looks brand new.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Gasguzzler, that looks like Torx bit to me, and if so, should still come out. If a Torx key fits, you might need to use a bit of heat.... but you knew that already.

Dunno on your stock, but on mine (recent mfg) I even tried washing it with lacquer thinner, nada. Had to resort to stripper which did the job quick n easy. I used one of those bronze, open mesh oven scrubber things the ol' lady had to sort "scrape" the finish off. Which reminds me... I gotta recheck to make sure I got all the goo off of it, in she wants to use it again.... :?

Nice shooter!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The swivels appear to be aftermarket...something like this but with a larger clamp ---> CLICK HERE

If it was a Torx it was in between two sizes. The only non-multiple of five I have ever used on a firearm or an automobile is a 27 and that's way bigger and maybe only once have I seen one. I already drilled it out. Came right off. I have the stocks off as well as the inner and outer magazines. Not diving into the internals until I get more time.

EDIT to add: I also took a utility knife and cut the membrane of wood out of the center of the forearm. It wasn't touching side to side and the screw hole for the band has been opened up so I am more thinking the first owner (I am the third) did some basic mods.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
ethang

Post by ethang »

Did you check with Smith's for the magazine follower? They were very reasonable when I got mine along with a new SS mag tube spring.

And nice rifle. I almost dropped a dime on one of the new ones from KY Guns, but as it is I don't shoot my 45 Colt enough to warrant it.
Plastic has no soul...
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Congrats, that should be a nice shooter.

I seem to recall the mag tube should be threaded into the receiver to keep it from popping out under recoil since the .454 was found to have enough oomph that the inertial of the mag tube overcame the screw through the front plug into the barrel and any screw in notch at the front band.

I'm getting redirected when I try to go to The Smith Shop. Anybody know if something happened?
Not a promising sign...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Bought a safety delete rear and 1/16" brass bead front sights from Steve's Gunz, a dovetail filler from Ranger Point Precision (used their expensive but highly superior plug on my 39A), and a brass follower from eBay.

The magazine tube is in fact threaded on and so is the cap that holds the inner tube. They both came right off. The lever and lugs are out but the tang and trigger are stuck (so far).
ethang

Post by ethang »

Archer wrote:Congrats, that should be a nice shooter.

I'm getting redirected when I try to go to The Smith Shop. Anybody know if something happened?
Not a promising sign...
Reading that Bill retired and new sales are by way of another retailer.
Plastic has no soul...
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

Way to go GG! I'm jealous. Your Gun-Fu is so much more better than mine.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Tang, trigger, hammer, loading gate are off. Barreled receiver is soaking in oil.

Guess I'll start on the wood next as it will take longer than burr removal and spit shine of internals.