My new R92 story....

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Deleted User 5041

Re: My new R92 story....

Post by Deleted User 5041 »

That rifle looks good. Thanks for letting us in on how you accomplished that look.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Yup thats what I did. What happened with me and Photobucket was all the thumbnails were still there but the actual files were corrupted even though I met all of their limits. As you said it was only for posting but it's still kind of ticked me off.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I can't see the images (the two "flickr" images)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

What you say about photobucket warning people who were using their service is true.
However, I run into webpages on an almost daily basis, where the photobucket hosted pictures are missing. That makes the tutorial or review or explanation or the article much less useful and in many cases totally useless.

You can say that if the poster cared they could have either paid for their pics to stay up or they could have edited the links or they could repost the information.

Maybe, but some of the authors have moved on and so they maybe they don't care. Some may no longer be with us. On this forum threads that have not been posted to in a certain length of time are locked from further posts, I don't know if that means posts in those threads also can't be edited but I suspect so.

The net is in no way a permanent record and it isn't good to expect it to be so but I don't like to add additional failure points.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

mr surveyor wrote:I can't see the images (the two "flickr" images)

jd
Yeah, I'm getting the text "Image" in Firefox and in Edge I get a tiny icon plus the text but no pic.

Where Reese-Mo posted the lever gap pic on another thread I can see it.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Just used em for posting, they had all the thumbnails, but actual files were corrupted. I have 99.9 percent of pictures on a pair of usb drives, is just a pain
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

Sorry I've been up to my neck in stuff here... from building FrankenMower (parts from 4 mowers making one that cuts my grass...), to pet issues, to crazy Brit girlfriend (every day for the last 13 years is a new episode of Monte Python with her!)... anyway...

I put the images, from my local PC, onto the "92 picture thread".

Hopefully they show up there.

The metal is all done, the wood is in a process....

The process is - chemical strip of the old finish, which was a form of died matte urethane. That came out pretty well a few days ago. Wood was red/blonde underneath. I've built something like 14 or 15 guitars, and I'll swear that its mahogany, of a lesser grade. It looks/feels has the grain of mahogany. I've got neck blanks that look so similar. At any rate, it took my dye pretty well. The dye being a dark "walnut" Mohawk stain in acetone, with some hard wax dissolved in it. The idea there, is penetration with the acetone, which evaporates, leaving the wax "in the wood". I call that Danish finish, but that's just me. Now its got three coats of boiled linseed with Japan dry added. I find that this will take about 15 applications, so the wood is "in process". After that a muslin rag buff to a sort of not shiny/not dull finish. I guess you'd call it a rubbed looking finish. It looks good on gunstocks, and my old Martini .22 target rifle is done up that way, so I hope the Rossi will be ok with it. Pics show the "factory" wood finish.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Looking forward to seeing the new look.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

On the older rifles, the finish tended to come off with moisture and turned ones skin orange. We referred to the wood as mystery jungle wood. Some times the stock would have some grain to it and other times, it was hard to see any.

Brazil has a lot of mahogany. Perhaps they are using the non furniture quality for stocks these days.

It sounds like yours is going to be very nice!!
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill