Rossi 92 44 Mag - ejector collar broke-unusual fix

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
elrotundamundo

Rossi 92 44 Mag - ejector collar broke-unusual fix

Post by elrotundamundo »

At the range today, the ejector collar on my new 92 - 44 magnum broke into three pieces and locked up the gun. When I got it home and got it apart, I saw the collar had broken, so I called Rossi and they will send one when they get a shipment from the factory. I ordered one from Steve's Gunz which should arrive in a few days. I started poking around my gun bench looking at odds and ends and saw the small primer plunger on my RCBS automatic priming tool. The collar on that looked almost identical except maybe a bit thicker and longer. Since I don't reload any calibers using small primers, I removed the collar from the tool and put it in my Rossi and it works perfectly. I removed a coil and a half from the spring and now the empties no longer go flying so high in the air after ejecting.
Nashville Stage

Re: Rossi 92 44 Mag - ejector collar broke-unusual fix

Post by Nashville Stage »

That's interesting. I've heard of several instances where the ejector's rod breaks, but not the spring collar that surrounds it. Would you mind posting a few pictures of the broken piece so we can learn from it?

Also, let us know if the part from Rossi actually shows up. They don't have the greatest reputation for supplying parts, so that'll be good news if they've changed their ways.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

elrotundamundo wrote:. . . the ejector collar on my new 92 - 44 magnum broke into three pieces and locked up the gun. . . the small primer plunger on my RCBS automatic priming tool. The collar on that looked almost identical except maybe a bit thicker and longer . . .
+guns
This is a great tip. I had the same misfortune several years ago. I, too, got a replacement collar (plus a spare, just in case) from Steve. But I'm going to keep this in mind. I've been reloading for more than 60 years and have several presses that probably have seated more than 100K primers. I'm going to guess the the collars around the seating stems undergo the same stress as 92 ejector collars and have held up remarkably well.

FWIW, I think I saved the small pieces of the broken collar. (Correction: I couldn't find the pieces.) The fractures are "grainy" in appearance, which leads me to believe these are tiny cast parts rather than sections of relatively thick-walled steel tubing.
Last edited by dlidster on 16 Jul 2020 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
elrotundamundo

Post by elrotundamundo »

Sorry, Nashville, I threw the pieces away as soon as I got the gun back in action. The collar broke into three pieces, roughly a half and two quarters. Will do on the part from Rossi.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'm guessing either injection-mold or die-cast. With a good die or mold you could a few thousand in an hour or two depending on the machine and operator.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I'm guessing either injection-mold or die-cast. With a good die or mold you could a few thousand in an hour or two depending on the machine and operator.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Maybe MIM but in all honesty it should be easiest to take seemless steel tubing chop and heat treat in batches.

Casting shouldn't save you much if anything and MIM is probably more expensive to do right plus MIM is mostly useful for oddball shapes to avoid machining operations a simple open ended cylinder is simple enough it doesn't make sense.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify. ... 8439750792

Has anyone bought from this company?

They say all of their rossi 92 parts are heat treated steel.
I know they are out of the collars right now, but they should get more in.
That or find a local machine shop.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

Mad Trapper wrote:https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify. ... 8439750792

Has anyone bought from this company?
I love this place. I stocked up on every imaginable screw for my '92 for my parts box.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

I agree with dildister's post, though they do not have a complete selection of parts for any particular firearm.
And, some firearms /models are not even addressed in their catalog, i.e. Browning B92 (44 mag or 357).
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

All of their rossi 92 parts are made from heat treated steel.
A person could get the parts they have available, switch out with the factory MIM/cast parts, and have a good reliable, or more reliable 92 with better quality parts.