New 92 owner - question about locking lugs

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
dlidster

Re: New 92 owner - question about locking lugs

Post by dlidster »

I've just returned from a gun show where I made an interesting observation relevant to this thread. There were plenty of Rossi R92s. I closely examined those of one vendor who had six or eight. Two of the blued .38/.357 rifles sitting right next to each other had a significantly oversize left slot and a somewhat oversize right slot in which the locking bolts travel -- just like the ones in the OP's photo. Could one speculate there was a run where a machine -- or its operator -- was a little out of whack for a while? The other 92s on this vendor's table were machined correctly.

The blued rifles were priced at $489; the stainless rifles at $509.
Last edited by dlidster on 30 Nov 2019 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I was hoping the new batch of 92s would be well made and of high quality.
It makes me very sad to see and hear about this.
Anyone doing a final inspection at the factory should have caught these issues with the locking lugs.
And thats what we can see, makes you wonder what lies beneath.
barrybright

Post by barrybright »

Thank you for all of the input, everyone.

I have finally had a chance to shoot this 357 and was pretty pleased with how it performed. It cycled my 357 hand loads well and was actually pretty smooth. It also seemed to shoot pretty accurately from what I can tell.

While I am not much impressed with the fitment of the lockup it seems to function as intended.

I am, however, hesitant to order a 16" 44 mag in stainless from my local dealer without being able to first inspect the rifle (especially with reports of other guns with similar trouble).
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Mad Trapper wrote:I was hoping the new batch of 92s would be well made and of high quality.
Maybe they are. How do we know if the ones in question here are recent production or built three years ago? I guess the ones after the restart have a unique number on them?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Mad Trapper wrote:I was hoping the new batch of 92s would be well made and of high quality.
Maybe they are. How do we know if the ones in question here are recent production or built three years ago? I guess the ones after the restart have a unique number on them?
Very true GG.
We may have to wait and see.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Mad Trapper wrote:. . . How do we know if the ones in question here are recent production or built three years ago? . . .
The ones I was examining at the gun show had "Made by CBC" on the barrel. Those that are more familiar to most of us have "Made by Taurus" on the barrel. These were new stock, not unpackaged older 92s.

FWIW, I've been impressed by the fit, finish, and lack of the shoe polish stock finish on the CBC guns. The badly machined locking bolt slots are an aberration -- and a real disappointment.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have to admit, mine were acquired a few years ago and they say Rossi 92 on one side of the barrel.
Braztech LC Miami FL Made by Taurus in Brazil on the other.

I haven't seen any of the CBC guns.

There's one of the Braztechs at the local pawnshop used with a price that's higher than new.
$599 for a .357 blued 24" octagonal. I'm sort of tempted, but not that much.

I think I'm more in the market, if I am at all in the market, for a .357 20" SS round barrel.
It would still have to be a mighty good deal though or I'd leave it for now.
barrybright

Post by barrybright »

My gun (the one pictured in the original post) is one of the CBC guns. The gun seems to function fine but has "odd" fitment between as far as the lockup is concerned.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

I'm resurrecting this thread because I've just returned from a gun show where I examined quite a few CBC-made 92s for the problem described by the OP. There were two vendors selling Rossi products and both brought quite a few 92s to the show. The stainless carbines were selling for $519; the blued models were $499.

Sad to say, I identified the poorly-machined locking bolt raceway on seven of ten stainless carbines. Interestingly, only the left raceway was faulty, as in the OP's photos. Three of the stainless carbines and all of the blued carbines were machined correctly. In hindsight I have to confess that I wasn't paying attention to if this was specific to either .44 mag or .38/.357.

Other than this problem the overall quality of the CBC-made carbines is really nice. But, if I were in the market for one I'd examine it very closely before laying my money down.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

sounds like somebody screwed the programming for the CNC and QC/QA didn't catch it until they ran a lot of them and decided it wasn't a functional flaw so they assembled them anyway.

Might also have something to do with legalities with respect to 'what constitutes a firearm' and taxes or issues with destroying already completed and serial numbered receivers?