Handloading for the .45/.410 CJ

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
Chiefeis

Handloading for the .45/.410 CJ

Post by Chiefeis »

Couldn't decide if this post should go here or the ammo section. So I went with the CJ area.

Tried out my little Lee Classic Kit for the .45 Colt today. I was supervised by someone with much more experience than I have, but even then it was (as they say) a learning experience.

I used 9.6 gr of Accurate No.5 powder, Winchester WLP primers, Hornady 250gr FTX's, and got some new Winchester brass. I won't rehash all the pain (like playing 52 pick-up with the primer after opening the box), but in the end we got a few rounds made. That mix gave the exact same reading as factory Hornady 225gr FTX's. I'd share what that was, but before I could write it down someone pressed the wrong button and cleared the memory. I *think* it was 352 m/s, or roughly 1154 ft/s. As I said, we had some operator issues with the chrono.

In the end, it looks like a good option. The kit works well now that I've figured out its quirks. The Hornady manual lists 10.2 (IIRC, too lazy to look) as the max load. I may goose it up to 9.8 next time and see how that shoots.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Handloading for the .45/.410 CJ

Post by Ranch Dog »

It sounds like you are on the road to becoming a reloader! If you haven't don't already, get a spiral bound notebook and start recording everything that you have do and will do in the future. It will come in handy down the road.

I started with the Loader kits, have a bunch of them, and have reloaded a lot of ammunition with them.
Michael
Chiefeis

Post by Chiefeis »

Sounds like a great idea, thanks!

I found last night that the 250gr FTX is really meant for the 450 Bushmaster. But with the longer-than-normal cylinder on the CJ it works just fine. Better ballistic characteristics than the 225gr FTX as well.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Chiefeis wrote:Sounds like a great idea, thanks!

I found last night that the 250gr FTX is really meant for the 450 Bushmaster. But with the longer-than-normal cylinder on the CJ it works just fine. Better ballistic characteristics than the 225gr FTX as well.
If you are using it for a hunting round, you might see if you can find the velocity range it works with.
Michael