Short Lane caliber adapters

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
Old Vagabond

Short Lane caliber adapters

Post by Old Vagabond »

I have been considering the 410/22 caliber adapters by Short Lane, and according to them you can use them in the CJ. I was going to get them for shooting squirrels but wanted to ask you guys if any of you have used them. If so...what kind of accuracy did you get. The manufacturer says that you can hit a 6 inch plate at 30 feet. That sure does not seem very good.

Let me know....
OV
9x80Drilling

Re: Short Lane caliber adapters

Post by 9x80Drilling »

Vagabond, I have several cartridge adapters and an insert barrel for use in my drillings and in a .20 gauge Ruger Red Label. Accuracy, I find, can be all over the place.
I use both a .32 SWLong and a .32 H&RMag in my 8 x 57 drilling. The .32 pistol bullets (various weights of XTPs) ride down the bore w/o being engraved by the rifling. Accuracy is acceptable to me for grouse, squirrel, cottontail headshots to 75 feet.
I've got two 9 x 18 Makarov adapters for my 9.3x 74 drilling; one shoots acceptably, the other not so much.
Then there is the .30-30 barrel insert that fits in my .20 ga Ruger. I've been messing with it for 9 years w/o finding the accuracy I need for deer to 100 yards. Additionally, for the .30-30 I have both a .32 SWLong and a .32-20 adapter. Neither of these is practical in the over/under shotgun; it makes more sense to download the .30-30 case and have fewer parts to lose, so to speak. I am saving these last two adapters for use in a single shot .30-30, should I ever have one.
Finally, I have a custom made .22 Hornet barrel insert for the rifle barrel on my 9 x 80 exposed hammer drilling. It shoots well enough for my needs.
The cartridge adapters and the .20 ga x .30-30 insert are all from Ace Dube in Alaska www.mcace.com The hornet insert was made by a gunsmith in Jackson, Wyoming. Come to think of it, the better of the two Makarov adapters is from a smith in Idaho.
Drilling users in Germany routinely use rifle inserts in one or more of their shotgun barrels to add versatility to their already versatile weapons. As you might imagine, these German inserts are really really high tech. No slip fit, slide in, o-ringed tools there! They are custom fit to the individual gun, indexed so that they return to zero after being removed and inserted, clamp in tightly with various camming devices, tighten up with hex wrenches, etc. In contrast, my .20 g x .30-30 insert has an o ring at its muzzle that probably fits differently each time I open and close the shotgun. The .22 Hornet adapter itself rides the bore; I often wonder what it is doing to my rifling.
The chamber adapters all came slightly over sized in the neck so that I could carefully remove metal and fit the neck to my individual rifles.
There you have it-lots and lots more than you wanted to know, and maybe none of it applicable to your situation. Sorry about that. When it comes to honeybees, drillings, and farm ponds, it can be hard to shut me up. LOL
Old Vagabond

Re: Short Lane caliber adapters

Post by Old Vagabond »

Well hell dude...that was mighty nice of you to leave me such an informative reply. Now I need to print it out and take it to a gunsmith so that I can understand it all. LOL No...really...thanks.