Cracked Stock

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
retAFShooter

Re: Cracked Stock

Post by retAFShooter »

Good Luck Baracuda....
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetAFShooter
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

I just got thru Working on the CJ stock pistol grip. I filled it up with Brownells Glass Bed. I filled the grip on the CJ with modeling clay, and sprayed everthing with Brownells release agent. I then installed the screw into the base of the pistol grip to hold everthing together while it drys. Hopefully it will all come apart tomorow, as it should. Some times the screws are the hardest to come apart. I soaked it in release agent also.
Time will tell, tomorows the day.
barracudadave67
barracudadave67

The stock is all bedded. Their was a gap of about 1/2in, between the bottom of the inside of the stock, and the bottom of the metal pistol grip, where the screw goes thru holding it together. This is all filled with glass bed now, and makes for a solid "sockit" for the revolver handle. It is very solid. I think the gap was the problem. Stock would come loose, then you tighten the screw, and all it did was push the stock onto the grip father, and eventually it cracked, like a log spliter.
I am now putting the new finish on the two stocks, after staining them. Should be done soon. Then its range time.

barracudadave67
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice I'm curious what she'll look like +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
barracudadave67

Stay tuned boys, and girls. I am still putting the finish on the stocks. Its turning out real nice. I am using "Permalyn" Stock sealer (6 coats), and their stock finnish, (5 coats). I let it dry 24 hours between coats, then sand it with 0000 steel wool. I doubt it will crack again, and it will look a lot better. Stay tuned.

barracudadave67
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

+corn
Michael
barracudadave67

20170101_164106.jpg
20170101_164131.jpg
20170101_164125.jpg
As promised here is my completed Rossi Circuit Judge, in .45 Colt/410 Ga. It's all back together, and the stock is finished. Havn't shot it yet (colder than hell here at moment). The pistol grip area is all class bedded with an "Acra-Glass Bed" gel kit, it is solid, with no gaps, and will not move anymore, or crack. I also redrilled the screw hole in the base of the pistol grip to 10-32 nat fine thread, and made a bigger washer to spread the load of the screw head, that's under under the black cap, on the pistol grip. All in all, I think it turned out pretty nice. The stock was cracked directly in back of the hammer, and directly in back of the trigger guard, tightening the screw just cracked it more because it did not bottom out. Thiers a solid bottom in it now.

I am now working on a Taurus "Thunderbolt" in .45 Colt.

barracudadave67
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

Wow! Really nice job!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'd like to see tang area and under stock by TG. Looks good.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Sexy work there +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!