Broken 92 trigger spring screw, HELP

This forum is for members to relate their experience with the RossiUSA restricted parts policy. Posts must be reasonable and civil. Rants will be moderated. Newly Registered Members with five (5) or fewer posts...
Forum rules
  • This site is not associated with RossiUSA/Braztech nor is RossiUSA/Braztech responsible for this site's content nor do they or any of their representatives participate on this forum!
  • Rants will be moderated.
  • To participate in this forum, you must have more than five (5) posts.
jburg2columbus

Broken 92 trigger spring screw, HELP

Post by jburg2columbus »

I just last week purchased a R92 357/38.
I took it apart for cleaning and upgrade.
When I went to remove the trigger spring the head of the screw snapped in half.
I called Rossi to order a spring and they said I had to send the whole rifle back to the factory.
I haven't even been able to shoot this and really don't want to wait 4-6 weeks.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Does anyone have any screws for sale?
Any other solutions?
Thanks for any help
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Broken 92 trigger spring screw, HELP

Post by donhuff »

That screw head broke in half on one of my 92s, it's still in there working just fine. I keep thinking that a new one is gonna fall from heaven and land on my work bench one day. Been waiting a longtime too.

I don't know where you might find one that would fit. Seems that I have read that rossi uses a really fine (non standard) thread pitch.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

jburg2columbus wrote: Any other solutions?
At this point I think I'd deduct the $40 shipping cost from the total price I paid, sell it quickly, and get a Marlin or Winchester to scratch my lever gun itch. Not trying to be harsh, but this parts situation is ridiculous.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Aint that the truth. There's no telling how many potential customers that silly company policy keeps from buying a Rossi.

I have a list of screws and small parts that I will buy if they ever start selling these simple parts.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
silvertip

Post by silvertip »

My 92 has given me no trouble to date. If I were to have the problem described by the OP, I would fix it this way. Go to the hardware and find a screw with the closest configuration to the trigger spring retaining screw. Buy the drill and tap for the new screw. Drill and tap. Insert and tighten the new screw to hold the trigger spring. Replace buttstock. Never think another thing about it.
jburg2columbus

Post by jburg2columbus »

I am going to go to Fastenal All today and see what they have. I think if I cant match it I will find the closest match and tap it. It seems to be holding now but I'm worried about the future when I pass it down to my boys. I don't want any accidents. I just can't believe they wont sell me this screw. Last time I will buy a Rossi.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Has anyone tried any of the 92 parts from WinchesterBob? Unfortunately, this is a part that he does not have in stock ethier.

This parts thing is really going to hurt Rossi. I know it is the Brazilians who are holding it up and it is going to be something that they cannot recover from.
jburg2columbus wrote:I just last week purchased a R92 357/38.Thanks for any help
Welcome to the forum jburg2columbus and I hate to hear that you had an issue an immediate issue with the rifle. In that the rifle is new where they going to pay for the return? If so, I would send it back. Rossi needs to start paying for their policy, until it costs them, nothing will change. From the reports on the forum, most rifles are returning with a week to 10 days.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome and sorry to hear this as well. Keep us posted to your findings
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jburg2columbus

Post by jburg2columbus »

I was told by Rossi that since I took that apart and it broke that they would not pay for shipping.
I went to fastenal picked up a bag of 6x32 machine screws and a 6x32 nc tap. i will do this with some blue loctite and all should be well.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jburg2columbus wrote:I was told by Rossi that since I took that apart and it broke that they would not pay for shipping.
Well then they need to start cleaning the crap out of the action that they pack in there prior to shipment. I really like my Rossi's because of the time I've got in them but this policy will prevent me from buying any more.
jburg2columbus wrote:I went to fastenal picked up a bag of 6x32 machine screws and a 6x32 nc tap. i will do this with some blue loctite and all should be well.
Way to go!
Michael