Rossi Gallery New red wood refinishing question!

Any Rossi not classified in the forums above.
donhov

Rossi Gallery New red wood refinishing question!

Post by donhov »

Found local gun shop with the Gallery for $249. Seemed reasonable so bought it. Strongly reminds me of my take down Winchester 22 WRF that I sold many years ago other than the round barrel and non take down feature on the Gallery.

On to my question. Has anyone tried refinishing the stock and fore arm on this rifle. Don't really like the orange/reddish color and think a dark stain would look much better on it. My concern is removing the old finish and will a good MinWax Walnut or Joco bean finish darken the wood down substantially. Not sure how the wood reacts to our current stains and I would finish with a linseed or tung oil final finish is a satin sheen. Hoping someone has attempted this and has some words of advice for me.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Rossi Gallery New red wood refinishing question!

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Following
Planning a refinish for over the winter project.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Re: Rossi Gallery New red wood refinishing question!

Post by GasGuzzler »

I do not like the results I got from MinWax or similar "stains". I learned here to try Fiebing's leather dye. It's alcohol based so it can be thinned to your liking and you can mix your own colors. Works way better on wood previously finished with mystery chemicals.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.