Python

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Python

Post by golfish »

Arroyoshark wrote:No kidding golfish !! Earlier this summer I got a chance to run some .357 loads through a buddy's Python. Kinda brings ya to yur knees and start crying for momma it is so smooth. ENJOY !!
I tell ya brother, I'm not a handgun guy, I do own a couple SAA clones , 1911s and a couple glocks but oh man, It's like butter. Everything that I've read says that its only gets better ..
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

When I bought my King Cobra it was just after they came out with them again and the 3" was all that was available. I'd have preferred a 4" but the one I got is quite good. very nice accuracy and a smooth action.

I had ordered the Cobra first. Before it came in the King Cobra went on pre-order and I probably should have just transferred my order to the King Cobra instead of getting both of them. The Cobra is a bit heavy but stout for a .38 SP only. They made some sort of screw up with the SKU on my order and it was delayed. Apparently they were delivering the same guns with a later stocking number but mine had an earlier number and for some reason didn't show up. They did manage to fix the snafu once they figured it out. The first one they got in for me the action wasn't at all smooth and the counter guy took it back and brought me another one. The second one was smooth and I accepted it. It's a decent little gun very comfortable to shoot but I'm not as good with it as I am with the King Cobra and I don't think I can push the range with it as well as I can with most handguns. For close work though there's nothing wrong with it.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I had my hands on a used 38sp only Ruger a few months ago. I believe it had a 3" barrel, stainless steel. I wish I knew what model it was. It was a smaller frame gun. I kick myself for not buying it, I kick myself more for not paying closer attention to the model.

Things are so bad now with revolvers. I hardly ever see a good selection and I very rarely see any Rugers or S&W. You look at the Turner ads over the last year or more and they hardly ever have a revolver in their ad other then an over priced Colt, the EAA Windicator or Ruger Wrangle.

I do most of my business with 2AZone in Upland. They just started getting more guns in stock.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ruger has made the SP101 in 2", 3", and 4".
A few years ago the 4" model had some rather nice wood grips.
I'm not current on what Ruger is offering in them now if anything.

I've been tempted by them and I've got a friend with one but I haven't picked one up yet.
The gun generally is a 5 shot in .38/357. They make it in .327 Mag in a six shot.
As I've got 500 rounds of .327 ammo that's sort of a tempting caliber but on the other hand I haven't seen much of it on the shelf in the past two or three years so I'll probably stick to .357 or .38.

They've also put it out in a 8 shot .22LR. Also tempting, probably more so than the .327.

Ruger was always a working mans gun but recently they are running about the same prices as S&W.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Ruger stainless 3" in 38 spl sounds a lot like the early SP-101 ..... late 80's-early 90's. Once they figured out that the frame could handle .357 mag they marketed (for a short time) the SP-101 with cylinders bored enough to handle the length of 125 gr only .357 mag ... and had that 125 gr warning stamped on the barrel. Short time later they slightly stretched the frame (if I remember correctly) to produce the full bore .357 mag model SP-101. I carry one 6 days a week that I bought very slightly used in 2010.

Before that, Ruger produced the Speed Six, the Service Six and the Security Six ... can't remember for sure but I think they may have produced the Speed Six and Service Six in .38 spl, but don't remember Stainless models.

I do know that the SP-101 was/is made in .22 LR and a short time in .327 mag. I don't care about the .327, but sure would like to have the .22LR model.

jd

dang ... as slow as things are around here it looks like Archer and I were posting the same thing at the same time. Must be a time warp or something :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure it was a 5 shot so the SP101 sounds right...

I'd love to find one in .327...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am not DA revolver guy but I wouldn't mind one of the pre-SP101's some day. I would prefer blued in 4" .357.

I have never personally owned a Colt anything.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

mr surveyor wrote:Ruger stainless 3" in 38 spl sounds a lot like the early SP-101 ..... late 80's-early 90's. Once they figured out that the frame could handle .357 mag they marketed (for a short time) the SP-101 with cylinders bored enough to handle the length of 125 gr only .357 mag ... and had that 125 gr warning stamped on the barrel. Short time later they slightly stretched the frame (if I remember correctly) to produce the full bore .357 mag model SP-101. I carry one 6 days a week that I bought very slightly used in 2010.

Before that, Ruger produced the Speed Six, the Service Six and the Security Six ... can't remember for sure but I think they may have produced the Speed Six and Service Six in .38 spl, but don't remember Stainless models.

I do know that the SP-101 was/is made in .22 LR and a short time in .327 mag. I don't care about the .327, but sure would like to have the .22LR model.

jd

dang ... as slow as things are around here it looks like Archer and I were posting the same thing at the same time. Must be a time warp or something :)

I was a very early adapter to the SP101. I got a very early 3-inch .38 spl. model back in late 1989 I recall. Superb to carry out in the country and surprisingly accurate with most loads. It accompanied me most everywhere out in the toolies and hunting. Finding a decent small frame 3" holster was problematic back in the day, at least for me, so I slightly cobbled an old Hunter brand holster found in a grab-box in Colorado. It was handy for spruce grouse occasionally. I regrettably allowed it to be traded away from me for several years, but couple years ago I got it back. I also found a Triple K holster on fleabay specifically made for 3" SP101. Things are good again and "it ain't goin' nowhere". Remarkably, this SP101 retains a very tight lock-up with no cyl. endshake. The caliber may not be most adequate for fending off a pesky black bear, which are not frequently encountered, but for most everything else its a really nice companion piece. Spring kits are available and do make the trigger action more smooth, but not like the O.P.'s Python.

I have periodically fancied a 4" .357 version that Ruger offers in .357, but I'll stick with the original. I have never found the wooden grips from Ruger very comfortable. I like the original grips and I've liked the hogue rubber grips. I find the Ruger SP101 to be one of Ruger's most aesthetically pleasing models they catalogue and superior in every way to the now "vintage" Security Six models.

The newest models of the SP101 have rather sharp edges on the trigger guard, and I've seen that open up a bleeding cut on on middle finger of large handed shooters using the o.e.m. rubber grips. Judiciously stoning those edges will remedy that.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:I am not DA revolver guy but I wouldn't mind one of the pre-SP101's some day. I would prefer blued in 4" .357.

The shop was offering me a Ruger Security Six just a week or so after I bought a Colt MKIII Trooper.
I figured I probably couldn't afford it so soon after buying the Colt and instead of putting a price on it they were asking me what I'd be willing to give. Instead I let a friend of mine know they were selling it and he wanted it pretty bad. As I was going by the shop he wanted me to send him some pictures. Meanwhile they'd priced it at $250. IF they'd done that when I was looking at it the first time I'd have simply bought it. He's lucky I let him know what it was going for and got them to put his name on it. Later I found a set of NIB vintage Ruger brand wooden grips for it to replace the ugly factory Pachmayers that came on it.

I've got at least 5 Colts. I'd like to have a nice Diamondback, a MKIII Woodsman, one or two of the new Pythons and one of the new Anacondas. That doesn't count any single action revolvers and I wouldn't turn down another Trooper, Official Police .357 or King Cobra.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Archer wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:I am not DA revolver guy but I wouldn't mind one of the pre-SP101's some day. I would prefer blued in 4" .357.

The shop was offering me a Ruger Security Six just a week or so after I bought a Colt MKIII Trooper.
I figured I probably couldn't afford it so soon after buying the Colt and instead of putting a price on it they were asking me what I'd be willing to give. Instead I let a friend of mine know they were selling it and he wanted it pretty bad. As I was going by the shop he wanted me to send him some pictures. Meanwhile they'd priced it at $250. IF they'd done that when I was looking at it the first time I'd have simply bought it. He's lucky I let him know what it was going for and got them to put his name on it. Later I found a set of NIB vintage Ruger brand wooden grips for it to replace the ugly factory Pachmayers that came on it.

I've got at least 5 Colts. I'd like to have a nice Diamondback, a MKIII Woodsman, one or two of the new Pythons and one of the new Anacondas. That doesn't count any single action revolvers and I wouldn't turn down another Trooper, Official Police .357 or King Cobra.

Old gun smith direct quote - "I'd rather tune up 10 Smith & Wessons than time one Colt ..."
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith