The long way around the barn.

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

The long way around the barn.

Post by Gunny268 »

I wanted a Ruger Single Six 22lr. Daughter has mine for the summer. For the grand daughters to shoot at their range in Florida. So, I bought this off GB.
22 WMR 1.jpg
Turns out it's a 22WMR. Even the seller didn't know. I can live with that. I've got about 700 rounds and that should last till fall (when I should be getting my 22lr back - I think). Removed the scope mount and installed a Ruger rear sight assembly. Shot it on my range and every round went 8" high at 25 yds. Even with the rear sight bottomed out. OK, need a taller front sight. Sigh, OK, I can do that. So, the work begins...
Front Sight 2.jpg
Front Sight 3.jpg
Front Sight 4.jpg
Front Sight 7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: The long way around the barn.

Post by Gunny268 »

Turned out pretty good. Even added a Ruger Birdshead Grip Frame (stainless was all I had on hand, but OK).
Shoots cloverleafs at 25 yds. NOW I can be happy.
Front Sight 8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

that came out real good Gunny.
Wonder how it would do if you got a 22lr cylinder from ruger?
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Very nice work !

Have to say, tho, I’ve not understood the functional utility of birds head style single action grip frames, especially on longer barreled six guns.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Good work on the sight.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ruger will want the gun back to fit an LR cylinder. That's not necessary. You can do that yourself...and an LR cylinder off eBay, etc. will be a lot less than a WMR cylinder or using WMR ammo all summer. I bought most of my WMR stash for $0.25 per round and the LR was $0.04 so it wouldn't take long to pay for a cylinder, especially since those prices likely no longer exist. I fit a 9X19 cylinder to my Blackhawk and a WMR cylinder to an OMSS I used to have.

This is the only Single Six I have right now...1965 RSSM

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

GG, excellent suggestion. Finding and fitting a 22lr cylinder is do-able. I'm willing to give it a go. (Because I've got about 9,000 rnds of 22lr vs 700 rnds of 22WMR.) Though I am concerned about end shake and barrel/cylinder gap.

ARROYOSHARK, for me...the birdshead grip fits my small hand better than the plowhandle. The flare of the base of the plowhandle grip just doesn't work well for me in getting a natural point of aim. The birdshead grip just works much better. The barrel is the standard 5 1/2" length and with the stainless-steel grip frame, though on the weighted side, the balance is acceptable.

And speaking of birdshead grips on a long-barreled revolver...introducing My Ruger Bisley .45 Colt that pairs very well with my Rossi M92, also in 45 Colt.
Birdsley 1.jpg
Bisley (1).jpg
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

okay, got it. I hadn't thought of all possibilities. Your bisley conversion looks very well done. Appears you did real nice job "carving" the original Ruger bisley grip frame to fit your needs, and the proof of how it handles for you is in the small cluster of bullet holes in the target. Good work !
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

GasGuzzler wrote:Ruger will want the gun back to fit an LR cylinder. That's not necessary. You can do that yourself...and an LR cylinder off eBay, etc. will be a lot less than a WMR cylinder or using WMR ammo all summer. I bought most of my WMR stash for $0.25 per round and the LR was $0.04 so it wouldn't take long to pay for a cylinder, especially since those prices likely no longer exist. I fit a 9X19 cylinder to my Blackhawk and a WMR cylinder to an OMSS I used to have.

This is the only Single Six I have right now...1965 RSSM

Nice. I use a 1968 version of same; no box, little plainer wood grips, but it's a shooter. Traded to me from a dear friend who has since passed. Taken several spruce grouse in September with it over the years.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Arroyoshark wrote:Nice. I use a 1968 version of same; no box, little plainer wood grips, but it's a shooter. Traded to me from a dear friend who has since passed. Taken several spruce grouse in September with it over the years.
I traded a 5.5" RSSW from 1965 and $50 for this one.

The real truth is I found this one for a cheaper than it was worth price, bought it, then sold my other for a little more than it was worth in a matter of minutes. Different people so technically not a trade.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.