AR Builds!

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: AR Builds!

Post by Archer »

I think all of mine that have a carbine stock on them of any kind have a QD 'single point' back plate.

The rifle stocked ones usually have a QD mount near the same point.
ALL of the free float ones have a QD or 4 or more in the handguard rails.

The QD slings are set up so they can be single point OR two point depending on the gun they will be used on. I haven't bothered to get a sling for EVERY one of them but I've got more than enough for me myself and I.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've got a .308 Win, a 6.5 Grendel or two and a .223 Wylde in the works.

I need to pick up some rings or a mount for the .223 Wylde. This one's been on hold a while.

I'll need a mount and a scope for the first 6.5 Grendel I think. Again been on hold a while.

The second Grendel is starting with a barrel, BCG, gas block, Upper and I'll have to check the home defense locker to see if I have a spare lower and parts bins to check for small parts.

The .308 has a barrel, BCG, charging handle and recoil system. Just started collecting parts.

Given the price and availability of ammo right now I probably should finish up the Wylde, table the 6.5s and build the .308.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Lever guns, 1911s and building ARs is a sickness...
I built the Dissipator a month ago and built the rifle on Friday..

I got a couple minis too. The bottom one is a mini 30, tops a mini 14

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I like the classic ARs. I haven't gone down that route yet although I think it would be fun.

The mini prices have gotten unreal. I wouldn't mind having another one or two just about anything I can get out of one of those I can put together an AR that's as good or better for a lot less money.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:I like the classic ARs. I haven't gone down that route yet although I think it would be fun.

The mini prices have gotten unreal. I wouldn't mind having another one or two just about anything I can get out of one of those I can put together an AR that's as good or better for a lot less money.
I traded a new R92 44 mag, a set of dies, 200pcs of Starline brass and 100 projectiles for the used 187 series Mini 30 . The sticker price on the Rossi was $487.00 so that was a deal for me.

I sold another Rossi R92 for almost twice what I paid ($467.00) to fund the new Mini 14 (that was 1k) but your absolutely right, the minis are crazy high. I figured I'd better get em before they go higher.

The ARs are cheap to build. The Dissy was right around $600 to build and the rifle was $700.
I'm sure you know that if you look around you can build an AR for around $400.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've built a few low cost M4-ish rifles catching parts or kits on sale and adding an lower and a few upgrades. Keeping the cost down was a lot easier when I had a friend with a shop where I could trade him some weekend labor for receiving fees on the receiver. I know several folks who've used blems for that but I've generally tried to avoid them since you never really know if the 'blem' is cosmetic or not.

I got my Mini 14 NIB at a ridiculously low price in 2019. I doubt I'll ever see a Mini 30 new or used at a similar price.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Is the Dissipator a carbine gas system or a mid length?
I've always liked the look. The built uppers I've seen the past few years used a carbine gas system and they've been a bit scarce. I suspect I might have to build one from scratch if I want one.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:Is the Dissipator a carbine gas system or a mid length?
I've always liked the look. The built uppers I've seen the past few years used a carbine gas system and they've been a bit scarce. I suspect I might have to build one from scratch if I want one.
It's rifle length.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Sweet!
Like I said the last couple I've seen were putting a low profile gas block at the carbine length and then sticking the A frame out front. Sort of giving up half to three quarters of the reason for the setup.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I'm not sure why anybody would want to change from a rifle length system, but then I haven't shot this one yet. They've been around for a long time so I wouldn't think there would be any problems.