AR Builds!

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

AR Builds!

Post by golfish »

I did the AR builds for a few years (building a Dissipator right now) I just wanted something less evil looking but still semi auto.

I fell right into the mini 30, I already had all of the stuff to reload for it (SKS) so that was a no brainer. I started reading a ton and found that the new models are the best Ruger has built so I went that route.

We all know how bad it was after Sandy Hook. Who knows what's going to happen now. Ammo, reloading components and stripped lower receivers are money in the bank..
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: AR Builds!

Post by Archer »

I'm not trading my ARs for mini's if I can at all help it.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

golfish wrote:We all know how bad it was after Sandy Hook. Who knows what's going to happen now. Ammo, reloading components and stripped lower receivers are money in the bank..
That's why a lot of us did the right thing a decade ago.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:I'm not trading my ARs for mini's if I can at all help it.
I wouldn't either. I'm trading my Rossi 92s for em. ;) you can't have too many of either.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've almost got enough ARs...
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Archer wrote:I've almost got enough ARs...
Brother, I'm not sure you can say I have "enough" anything when it comes to firearms :)

It's been 5+ years since I built an AR. I started planning a Dissipator build a few months ago. I figured I might as well buy an extra lower because I already have 2 extra BCGs, then I found a deal on charging handles :)

The lowers are still at a good price. I do suggest buying a couple ... dozen :)
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

At present, I've got at least...
5-6 M4 Clones or free float carbines in 5.56 NATO or .223 Wylde.
1 M4ish Clone in 7.62x39.
2 6.5 Grendels built 1:20", 1:24" and parts for at least 1.5 more.

Added by edit: (Forgot to add initially)
+2 12.7x42 (AKA .50 Beowulf) builds a 18" built from the ground up and a 16" Bear Creek on a built lower.

I think I've got parts for another .223 Wylde or two plus assorted spares.

On the large frame front I have 4 .308s built and a .243 Win built and parts for at least two more .308s plus another 2 to 3 spare barrels and a few additional spare parts.

I've got enough AR armorer's tools that replacing them would cost about as much as a rather high end build. The only thing I really need or could use along those lines that I don't have is a few sets of headspace gauges.

I'm not 'done' with the AR but I'm comfortable with my current builds and there's probably enough of them for me myself and I at the moment.

Ammo wise I'd like to have a few more cases of 6.5 Grendel.
5.56/.223 and 7.62x39 hasn't been hard to find although it's a little high. .308 has gotten atrocious but it's still out there if you want to pay $1.50 to $1.75 a round. I've got a pretty good pre Chinese bio attack supply.
Last edited by Archer on 17 Oct 2022 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

You seem to build the same calibers over and over ?

The .243 Win. will be a cool build. I've personally observed hunting friends dropping coyote, antelope and deer with that caliber at distances greater than 150 -200 yds. It's an accurate round. I have a friend that assembled a .358 Win. on an AR308 platform that thumps pretty good. I prefer the .300 BLK to the 7.62 chi-com round. I think it works much better in an AR platform, is more versatile by being able to use different bullet weights effectively ... and I can make brass from 5.56 cases.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I DO tend to stick to calibers I already own. That said I probably own a dozen and a half to a score of calibers or more if you count everything.

I don't really want to add too many more calibers, especially those that duplicate ones that I already own, since I feel the need to lay in a supply of ammo, of reloading dies, of component bullets and powder for each new round.

Once I've got a gun in a caliber then I sort of feel free to get another since they can share ammo stockpiles, reloading dies and components, cleaning supplies, and possibly magazines. IF the guns are the same type then worse case they can function as spare parts for each other or additional spare parts can be used on either. Mostly with respect to multiples that's ARs or handguns but there's a few other options from time to time.

There's some difference between the ARs within the same caliber. Build for longer range or light weight or for medium/short range or a M4 clone blaster.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Archer wrote:There's some difference between the ARs within the same caliber. Build for longer range or light weight or for medium/short range or a M4 clone blaster.
Yep. I have two 5.56X45 right now. One is a carry handle, single point sling style and the other is scoped.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.