AR Builds!

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: AR Builds!

Post by Arroyoshark »

That is an awfully generalized, and unsupported statement attributed to Mr. Kelly. I'd need to see his perspective for that comment. With .22 lr rounds, I have seen that velocity seems to max out at about 16" barrel length.

At one time, long ago, I used to shoot competitively. I learned to reload to keep that hobby affordable. No longer compete, but still reload.

With store ammo inventories, other than 9mm, 7.62 chi-com and 5.56, remaining very sketchy, I'd be sunk presently if I couldn't make rounds for my shooters.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: AR Builds!

Post by Archer »

Note I said the quote was attributed to P.K. NOT that I attributed it to him.
I have had it quoted at me multiple times on at least 3 boards mostly talking about magnum handgun rounds and other 92 rounds like .44-40. Even there it seems you still get a slight advantage increasing the barrel length IF you are shooting heavy magnum loads built on slower powders.

Yeah, I've been able to scrounge a few semi-affordable rounds but my store of reloading components is a better solution to most calibers than the local sporting goods stores. That said replacing components right now like powder and primers is pretty difficult.