Plastic Fantastic..

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
ManxTom

Plastic Fantastic..

Post by ManxTom »

Anyone else here own or shoot a Glock 44 .22LR? I have one and I love it. It's really fun to shoot, very cost effective and runs extremely well on 40g MiniMags. Perfect plinking 'tool' on our club 25m range.
G44-Small.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Plastic Fantastic..

Post by Gunny268 »

Nice score ManxTom. Shooting .22 cal out of a Glick is definitely a fun range day. But, I went another route.
Years ago one of my officers got an Advantage Arms .22 cal conversion kit for the G19. She had it for 3 years and never took it out of the box. Needless to say, as the department armorer, I was able to wrangle it off of her for half of what she paid for it. For about 10 years now, works great in the wife's G19 and my G23. So well in fact, I'm resolved to the fact that I will never have that SHTF .22 ammo stash ever again. Granddaughters love dinging on my "Challenge Steel Target Stand" every time they visit.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

There are only two differences between the Glock 44 and the Glock 19.. first is weight, second is, obviously, calibre.
The G44 is exactly the same size as a 19, spooky in it's similarities. But, even with a full 10 rounds in the mag, it still weighs in at just under 1lb..!!
Contrary to what a lot of people say, I love it. It's great fun to shoot and it will only give you problems if you choose to shoot lightweight ammo through it. Stick to 40g 'fast' ammo, like MiniMag, and it will work every time.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.. :D
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

This is a bit of a long winded rant but bear with me...

There is a weird law here in CA that limits the handgun types we can acquire to items on a list. This list was sold and passed as a safety test and safety list but of course it was in reality a hidden tax and was always planned as a gun control and rationing measure. So the list consists not of safe handguns BUT of handguns that meet a set of regulatory requirements (size, weight, certain prohibited or allowed characteristics) and which the manufacturer pays a listing and testing fee in order to get on the list. The handgun goes through a rigorous testing regime that essentially destroys the pistol being tested but which is not too hard for a well built firearm to pass. The firearms manufacturer or importer pays for the testing, pays for more than enough bonded ammunition from the manufacturer for the test. The government gets another copy of the handgun for the CA Department of Justice to place in their firearms library. So if you total it up the manufacturer is out several thousand dollars to even submit a firearm for testing. The listing fee puts the firearm on the list for a specific time period after which the manufacturer must pony up again to keep it on the list but testing need not be done again, probably.

Our idiot Vice President for the USA was once the Atty General for California. She is very anti gun, anti self protection/defense, anti second amendment and pro-criminal. Before she became AG for CA the democrat party passed a law requiring handguns incorporate microstamping technology to be included on the list. The technology was sole source when the law was passed. The then Atty General for the state was Jerry 'Moonbeam' Brown who put the law on hiatus since you cannot compel someone to purchase something from a single vendor. While Kamala Harris was AG she waded in on a couple of firearms lawsuits and she lost at least one of them and was told by the judge on another that she did NOT have standing in the case. Since she's a vindictive sort of person she went out of her way to find ways to punish gun owners in this state since of course it was their fault she looked stupid. As a result she 'determined' that the patent on microstamping technology had run out and so it was no longer sole source technology. Mind you it has been proven not to work very well and to wear out over time. At this time NOBODY wants it and NO firearms manufacturer will be caught dead using it since that's instant death of sales in the other 49 states. So there's NO new semi automatic firearms being added to the list.

Since handguns for sale must be on the list ANY change to the firearm is cause for potential retesting and must be submitted to DoJ again for approval. Now before Comrade Harris this was handled by the DoJ in such a way that minor changes and changes in source supply for contract and standard parts where the part didn't change but who manufactured or supplied it did were automatically approved without issue. Kamala however changed the policy such that ANY change including buying a spring from Springco instead of from Wolff Springs required the gun to be resubmitted for testing. As the testing requirements now included the requirement for microstamping this means that ANY change the manufacturer makes drops the gun off the list of what we can buy here. The subsequent AG Xavier Becerra elected after Kamala became a senator was as bad or even worse and continued K.H.'s policies. In fact he was such a complete tool that the Biden administration rewarded him with the post of U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services where he is no doubt up to no good under cover of the inept and incompetence that continues to make headlines by those members of the administration who are more in the public eye. I can't say much about the current AG other than anyone appointed by Gavin Newsom probably can't be good.

So in summary, Nothing designed after a certain date is allowed to be sold new in CA for citizen peons. Nothing that wasn't already on the list (in terms of semi auto handguns) will be added to the list since microstamping isn't an option. The list keeps getting smaller as previously approved as 'safe' handguns drop off the list since the manufacturer either takes them out of production and is no longer willing to pay the tax for something they no longer produce or changes something that makes them drop off the list.

So if it isn't on the list it cannot be imported to CA even as a private party transfer. So no buying used collector firearms that aren't already in the state.

Glock continues to manufacture the Gen III guns for California but eventually those molds will no doubt wear out. The Glock 44 is unlikely to ever be legal here. The only two ways I can think of to get one here is 1) A police officer buys one as they are exempt from the list limitations and then sells it on the secondary person to person market. 2) Familial transfer from a direct line blood relative. IF I was going to be able to get something through either route the Glock 44 would not be my first choice.
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

And I thought we had problems in GB with a total handgun ban..!! Well, actually, not total. You can own and shoot what are called Long Barrelled Revolvers and Long Barrelled Pistols. To me they are a total anathema.. you have a pistol/revolver with a barrel that is 12" long.. THEN you have a great lump of steel 'scaffolding' permanently attached to the frame and sticking out the back. To be legal it has to be no less than 24" in overall length..!!
Following the handgun ban in the UK (remember, where I live is GB but not UK) in 1997 a lot of handgun shooters turned to lever actioned pistol calibre rifles. And there's still a lot of them around. Most clubs will have specific comps for lever guns.

You can see the types here.. https://www.mcavoyguns.co.uk/contents/e ... stols.html

I get regular 'requests' from friends who want to 'pop over and see me' which, given my liberated location, is just a desire for them to come and shoot my 'proper' pistols/revolver. Trouble is my club has ceased having 'guest days' for the very reason. Too many off Island people were turning up with a view to having a shoot and you can't just let anyone walk in 'off the street' as it were.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

EVEN with all that, it is probably STILL better for the firearms enthusiast and collector even in Kalifornia than GB.

I need to post some pics...
Daryll

Post by Daryll »

ManxTom wrote:And I thought we had problems in GB with a total handgun ban..!! Well, actually, not total. You can own and shoot what are called Long Barrelled Revolvers and Long Barrelled Pistols. To me they are a total anathema.. you have a pistol/revolver with a barrel that is 12" long.. THEN you have a great lump of steel 'scaffolding' permanently attached to the frame and sticking out the back. To be legal it has to be no less than 24" in overall length..!!
Following the handgun ban in the UK (remember, where I live is GB but not UK) in 1997 a lot of handgun shooters turned to lever actioned pistol calibre rifles. And there's still a lot of them around. Most clubs will have specific comps for lever guns.

You can see the types here.. https://www.mcavoyguns.co.uk/contents/e ... stols.html

I get regular 'requests' from friends who want to 'pop over and see me' which, given my liberated location, is just a desire for them to come and shoot my 'proper' pistols/revolver. Trouble is my club has ceased having 'guest days' for the very reason. Too many off Island people were turning up with a view to having a shoot and you can't just let anyone walk in 'off the street' as it were.
Yep, I'm one of the people who lost pistols (7..!) in the great conviscation of '97... at least we did get compensation for them, and as mine were fairly standard pistols, all bought 2nd hand, I think I actually made a profit... but I'd still have preferred to keep the guns.
When the compo money came through it was straight down the gunshop and bought rifles.. and 10/22 and a Marlin .38/.357. I still have the Marlin, and only sold the 10/22 a few months ago..
Since then my collection has grown again, mainly rifles but also a long barrelled revolver and pistol.. I've even gone to the "dark side" and have a cap and ball revolver... :mrgreen:

Whenever I can I get over to the US and shoot "real guns".. I have a couple of friends there that shoot so try to get invited to the range.. :D

3 years running I competed in the US with a wide selection of guns.... kid in a candy store..!!
ManxTom

Post by ManxTom »

Yeah I feel for you guys in the UK losing your handguns. Of course it's always 'swings and roundabouts' so whilst I now can shoot handguns, the range here is only 25m and 50m so a total waste of time shooting anything designed for long distance - which I had a Rem 700 action based rifle built for 1200m..!! And my deer rifles are gone now too.. nothing bigger here than hares..!!
But I do love my G44, my 9mm Ruger 1911 and my .357 Taurus M669. All good fun.
Reese-Mo
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Reese-Mo »

ManxTom wrote:And my deer rifles are gone now too.. nothing bigger here than hares..!!
I once spent a summer shooting the heads off crows with my Garand. Sound criminally sadistic, but they are a known nuisance in these parts. I could put out some dry cat food in the AM, and by noon every crow in Polk County was fightin' to get at it. Layin' in the hammock in the shade, the occasional pop of the Garand didn't really spook 'em too much neither. Distance, about 50 yards or so.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Reese-Mo wrote:
ManxTom wrote:And my deer rifles are gone now too.. nothing bigger here than hares..!!
I once spent a summer shooting the heads off crows with my Garand. Sound criminally sadistic, but they are a known nuisance in these parts. I could put out some dry cat food in the AM, and by noon every crow in Polk County was fightin' to get at it. Layin' in the hammock in the shade, the occasional pop of the Garand didn't really spook 'em too much neither. Distance, about 50 yards or so.

what, y'all don't have a "baitin' game" prohibition law in Florida? :lol:

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!